Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venivdvici View Post
You taught me there's an acrid scent to burnt tubes. I didn't know that.
No. Burned wiring or burned resistors. A "burnt tube" isn't likely. a "burned out" tube is, but that would be odorless. Like a burned out light bulb.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
No. Burned wiring or burned resistors. A "burnt tube" isn't likely. a "burned out" tube is, but that would be odorless. Like a burned out light bulb.
Exactly. I never said burnt tube produces an acrid scent. As Accumulator said the acrid scent or smell is from an electrical short or rubber insulation or a resistor or any number of other toxic components in a television chassis. A "bench job" means that the chassis is taken back to the shop and put on the work bench to be repaired.

-Steve D.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for clarifying. I'm gonna have my own glossary to make sure I get the details correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Exactly. I never said burnt tube produces an acrid scent. As Accumulator said the acrid scent or smell is from an electrical short or rubber insulation or a resistor or any number of other toxic components in a television chassis. A "bench job" means that the chassis is taken back to the shop and put on the work bench to be repaired.

-Steve D.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got it! I'll put that in my notes.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
A "burnt tube" isn't likely. a "burned out" tube is, but that would be odorless.
Oh, if a tube radio or TV set hasn't been operated in a long while, dust accumulated on its tubes will produce a weak burnt smell, very similar to the smell you get when you turn the house heat on first time a cold snap happens in Autumn. The dust on the radiators making the smell. But the tubes for the most part don't care, they will operate just fine. Unless the dust is literally 1/8 inch or more thick...

As for the faulty filter caps, about ten years ago there was some industrial spying one cap company in Taiwan I think it was, had stolen what they thought was the competitor's secret recipe for the special sauce used to make capacitors. And they started using it to make their caps. Only problem was what they stole was a recipe for some research and development cap experiments that did not contain materials to extend cap lifetime, maybe so the lab scientists of the competitor company had intended to test various new such materials to add to the recipe that was stolen. The evil spying and stealing company made lots of faulty caps that ended up in things like computer motherboards and power supplies, causing a lot of early failures in several major computer companies' products... This could easily have happened in the USA back in the 50's, as people around the world are more similar in most respects than the small stuff like what they look like or like to have for dinner.

Last edited by wa2ise; 11-08-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was one filter cap problem endemic to the CTC-25 chassis (and possibly the CTC-17 also, though I never saw it in a '17) that tended to crop up when the sets were just out of warranty. A multi-section can had a 680 (possibly 560) ohm, half-watt resistor between two of its lugs. The sets would come in with that resistor smoked. Turns out that one section had gone bad, allowing a large ripple voltage to appear across the resistor that overwhelmed its wattage rating.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ha! Industrial spy a la The Three Stooges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Oh, if a tube radio or TV set hasn't been operated in a long while, dust accumulated on its tubes will produce a weak burnt smell, very similar to the smell you get when you turn the house heat on first time a cold snap happens in Autumn. The dust on the radiators making the smell. But the tubes for the most part don't care, they will operate just fine. Unless the dust is literally 1/8 inch or more thick...

As for the faulty filter caps, about ten years ago there was some industrial spying one cap company in Taiwan I think it was, had stolen what they thought was the competitor's secret recipe for the special sauce used to make capacitors. And they started using it to make their caps. Only problem was what they stole was a recipe for some research and development cap experiments that did not contain materials to extend cap lifetime, maybe so the lab scientists of the competitor company had intended to test various new such materials to add to the recipe that was stolen. The evil spying and stealing company made lots of faulty caps that ended up in things like computer motherboards and power supplies, causing a lot of early failures in several major computer companies' products... This could easily have happened in the USA back in the 50's, as people around the world are more similar in most respects than the small stuff like what they look like or like to have for dinner.