Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by venivdvici View Post
Hmm, I wonder if this "fix" would work.
'--the main filter capacitor had gone bad. That was strange on a new set, until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with cheap caps from the Philippines. Fine with him. The more corners electronics companies cut, the better his repair business.'
=================================
A few years earlier, Mrs. Amato blew almost eight hundred bucks of her late husband's insurance on the '58 RCA Anderson with the CTC-7C chassis and complained when all her shows weren't in color. Hunny explained most shows weren't broadcast in color and she should save her money and return it for a nice black and white set. Nope. She wanted to be ready for the color revolution. She'd read in Life it was coming.

Her problem was, "The picture's messed up. It looks smaller and it's got this dark area across it that keeps creeping up through the picture and the sides are bending in and out." A shrunken raster with a hum bar and accompanying hourglass bending. At her house, he tried replacing the two 5U4 power rectifier tubes, but that didn't fix the problem, so he brought the set to the shop.

With Yoyo out of his hair, he pulled out the heavy beast's chassis. It had twenty-eight tubes, drew three hundred eighty watts, and had over twenty-two kilovolts of zapping power. Once he was familiar with its layout, he found the problem--the main filter capacitor had gone bad. That was strange on a new set, until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with cheap caps from the Philippines. Fine with him. The more corners electronics companies cut, the better his repair business.

He replaced the cap, a major job in itself, checked the rest of the tubes, cleaned the tuner and controls, reinstalled the chassis, and did a thorough degaussing and complete convergence and purity set-up. It ran good as new.
Nicely done. May I suggest just three 'edits' from an old editor.

[1] First, I'm still a stickler for bring and take. The second paragraph ends, "...so he brought the set to the shop." I know nobody cares anymore, but "...he took the set to the shop." would be my preference.

[2] "...and had over twenty-two kilovolts of zapping power." A TV set is not a taser. It produces a picture. Thus: "...and had over twenty-two kilovolts of picture power."

[3] This is less objective. I could find no earlier reference in this thread to a Philippines-sourced electrolytic (filter) capacitor. I looked because I did not know that RCA used such foreign-made parts then and wondered from where the reference originated. So, it is to me a bit of a slur on RCA, which was the largest manufacturer color television sets and for whom I worked in 1961. Thus, "...until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with cheap caps from the Philippines." might be revised to: "...until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with defective caps Incoming Inspection had missed.

Whatever.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Deksnis; 11-08-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Audiokarma