Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Found something interesting. Of course it complicates things for me, but interesting nevertheless.

The other night I was watching the set and it had the usual twitching in vertical height (top and bottom). Then this line appeared about 6" from the bottom and it was moving up and down about an inch. It was transparent, so I thought it was the program material. I paused it, but the line still was there. It wasn't perfectly straight. I figured it was the same issue, just a different effect.

After enduring it as long as I could, I was about to shut the set off. As I was about to shut it off, something told me to mess with the vertical hold. So that's what I did. As soon as I touched the v-hold, it started rolling like you'd expect. I then rotated it back and forth a few times and then adjusted out the rolling. After the picture stopped rolling I noticed the line was gone and the twitching stopped. Of course this didn't last too long. A few minutes later the twitching started again, but not as bad, and the line was reappearing, but lower on the screen. A turn of the v-hold again took care of it again for a short period.

So I can temporarily fix it with a turn of the v-hold. Does this indicate a problem with the pot, or is the change in resistance by turning the pot causing the vertical module to get the electronic version of a spit and smack?

Thanks

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
M is for Memory

The pot may have in whiskers or conductive dirt inside....You should clean it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The pot may have in whiskers or conductive dirt inside....You should clean it.
The pot had already been cleaned with deoxit and finished off with fader lube. I did this twice to it last year. I'm pretty certain its as clean as it's going to get.

My brother mentioned that it might be the change caused by turning the pot that causes the capacitors on the v-module to change value. The in turn creates a temporary fix for the failing capacitor(s).

So I think I'll just suck up the $6 shipping and get the two replacement tantalum caps on the v-module. Hopefully it will fix the issue.

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650