Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rare Mechanical TV

Have you seen this thread on ARF? Unbelievable.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=3&t=297366
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, my eye popped when I first saw that pic and read that story! One of the greatest recent TV "finds" of all-time. Having that set sit there with junk on top of it is a crime! I've known of other so-called collectors that will do the same thing with a rare set they own. The more inquiry's about it, the more it stays right where it is. It becomes a power-play with the owner.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I've known of other so-called collectors that will do the same thing with a rare set they own. The more inquiry's about it, the more it stays right where it is. It becomes a power-play with the owner.

I've known collectors/hoarders like this too. One person would be more properly described as an "accumulator," because they don't really know about or understand the items they've collected (and certainly don't appreciate, use, or restore them). There were a few times that he'd invited people to his place after a collectors show/convention to see his collection which was in actuality stuff indiscriminately piled wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling in his barn/garage.

He'd encourage people to rummage through and make offers on things they might want, but then get all funny about it and refuse the sale when someone made a good offer on some treasure they found. It's as if he changed his mind when he sensed how badly someone wanted the thing. In my experience, I had way better luck if I made a crazy lowball offer and acted nonchalant about something I wanted to buy.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its very possible the person that has it just likes to look at it, or just truly doesnt realize what he has, even when told. There is nothing wrong with that. Just be glad he was smart enough not to throw it away or make a silly bar out of it. Hopefully at some point it will be restored or put into a museum.
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

There used to be hoarder in northern New Jersey in the 1970s. He had started as a junk collectors in the '20s and had accumulated an unbelievable stock of old stuff. He was in an affluent area so a lot his stuff was high-end. He stored the stuff in old chicken coops and other out buildings. When I started collecting radios, I used to drool over some of his high-end sets from the '20s.

He ran an antique business, but he was impossible to deal with. He asked such incredibly high prices that none of his stuff sold. His prices were so high that you got the feeling that he really didn't want to sell anything. Year after year, you could go there and see the same stuff. To top it off, he was a crotchety old SOB.

A few years before he died, there was a fire at his place and he lost almost everything. Ironic, isn't it?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Looking For Time

The fellow who owns this television knows what it is. He knows it's an important piece of history, and it's been in his family since new. I don't think it's fair to say someone doesn't appreciate an item just because it's not restored. I think we all appreciate items in different ways.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
The fellow who owns this television knows what it is. He knows it's an important piece of history, and it's been in his family since new. I don't think it's fair to say someone doesn't appreciate an item just because it's not restored. I think we all appreciate items in different ways.
I don't mean to label the owner. I just mentioned it as a possibility from past experiences. Seems others have seen this situation before too. One thing for sure is that time will continue to reek havoc on the set and cause continued deterioration. It should be properly restored and put in place of honor in the mans home if not in a museum. You must admit the set looks like a somewhat neglected catch-all table for being such a treasured family heirloom.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
electronics packrat

I need to make a call to my cousin in Oakland I think.