Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Vintage Audio Freak

Philco 41-255 (Table Top Radio)

I had a friend give me one of these radios today, but it's not in the best of shape. The cabinet is a 7 out of 10, but the electronics are in poor shape. I wanted it mostly for looks, but after looking at it for the last couple of hours, I would love to get it going. The tubes light up, but all I get is a hum out of the speaker, the plastic (backlight?) face plate is is broken and chip. The push-buttons are chipped, I'm sure the switches will not work, and the selector, volume knobs are in very poor shape. Can someone give me some information on this radio? I think it was built between 1940-1942, but I am not sure. Can you get the plastic face plate and replacement knobs, pushbuttons? I can get the cabinet to almost mint conditon, and electronics working, but these other parts are what worries me.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Audiophool

The model number contains the model year - 1941 - so it came out in the fall of 1940. Most of these 1941 Philcos used a plastic bezel and pushbuttns that have shrunk and cracked over the years. A fellow named Larry Bordonaro makes reproductions, his site is http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com

Wouldn't it be nice to have the original Philco service info for this set? You'll find it on my site at http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Philco.html

I used DjVu compression to save web space. You'll need to get the DjVu browser plug-in from lizardtech.com - if all else fails, I should still have the original scans in a zip file...
Old 08-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The "Hummm" means a re-capping job. But there's a reasonable chance it'll work fine then, maybe you won't need any tubes. I'd prolly put a new line cord on it while I was into it, too. I think you'll have a neat old set to be very proud of when you get done, though. -Sandy G.