Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 AM
M is for Memory

2 cataract removals of 2 types in 2 hours.

Wednesday I finally succeeded at doing an RCA type cataract removal (finally!...the victims of my earlier experiments were stacking up), and to celebrate I did a Zenith type too in a new way. The both came out of a moldy TV shop basement, and the RCA was holding disgusting water from there in the gaps in the glue (tip the tube or pry on the safety glass and it would run through those cracks like some kind of putrid vascular system). I had to get that out to be able to clean it well enough to allow it in the house. The edge bits came loose easy and in big chunks, but the center was on there as good as ever. I had to do the typical sun + wedging method, but by the time I was done preparing that the sun had set, and I had to rely on a 650W photo flood lamp to heat it...It worked great! About 15-30 minutes with it wedged, and the lamp heating the heat collecting garbage bag was all it took to get it to let go. There had to be 1/4 cup of water/dissolved PVA juice in there! One thing that is interesting is that the safety glass appears to be turning into what some glassware collectors I know call 'carnival glass' (that rainbowey look)....It may not be reversible, and I may have to discard that safety glass.

I did the Zenith tube without heating it in the sun or under the lamp. I merely turned on the lamp to see and quickly cut the glue with No. 15 guitar string before it heated. It was fast and easy. I was happy to not need to heat it (that lamp smokes if you let it run too long), and even more happy when essentially all the PVA rolled off cleanly by hand.

(looks like I made the first new thread since the VK server update )

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-16-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: finishing touches
Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM
M is for Memory

The next evening (last night) I did a RCA roundy CRT as a follow up...It came from the same place, had the same liquid inside, but was easier to get the glass off of...Had I tried I believe I could have yanked it off by lifting the whole shebang by the glass, but the wedges were safer. This tube did something real odd when it came apart. The PVA in the center split into 2 layers. One layer stayed stuck to the CRT, and the other layer stayed stuck to the safety glass...The layers were thin enough and well adhered enough to be a pain to scrape off.

I ought to post about the haul these came from, but I'll save that for later. I will say that one other roundy CRT I got from there cataracted it's self when lifted to give perspective on the storage of these.

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-16-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I ought to post about the haul these came from, but I'll save that for later.
Yes, you should. I'm curious what tubes you got from there and their conditions. Also wondering if you found other worthwhile stuff there.

Will you be at the WARCI meet Sunday? I'm planning on bringing along that Stewart Warner mirror-in-lid set again, and you've still got first dibs on it. I'll leave it in storage if you don't plan on being there. (Don't worry about saving room in your car for it, I can drop it off in front of your garage on my way home Sunday. That way you can fill up on newly discovered treasures at the meet.)

Old 09-16-2016, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice work, Tom.

Have you tested either (or both) of the CRT's yet? And if you wind up with a surplus roundy color CRT that tests good, I'd be interested.

-Clark
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM
M is for Memory

One roundy is flaky and emission is different each time I test it...Sometimes weaker sometimes stronger (it varies between weak and strong). The other 2 are unknowns...One has damaged socket bakelite and a heater lead broke flush at the glass when I connected my tester to test it. The remaining one is in similar shape only there is not a hole in the base to tell me where the lead broke... I plan on removing the bases on those and attempting to repair the leads. With only three roundy tubes, likely none will be let go even if all are good, since if all are good I'll have potentially 2 sets that need them, and I have to keep a spare...

Oddly enough the other types (monochrome) with bakelite bases fared much better.

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-16-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

I'm curious if that nasty liquid smelled like acetic acid like mine did. I assumed it was a decomposition byproduct, possibly mixed with rainwater (I stored the tube outside under a tarp until the adhesive gave up the ghost.)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:45 AM
M is for Memory

I can't say that I know what 'acetic acid' smells like to compare.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Acetic acid smells like vinegar.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
Acetic acid smells like vinegar.
Aah! It did smell a bit like vinegar, but at the same time strongly of vinyl, and mold from the place it was stored...Quite a unique mix of strong unpleasant smells.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Electonoc M.: what happened to your de-cataract "failures"? Hopefully
nothing implosive.
Audiokarma
Old 10-13-2016, 02:22 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Electonoc M.: what happened to your de-cataract "failures"? Hopefully
nothing implosive.
No implosions,but I've been scared.
My only failures have been with RCA type cats, and I've had 4 total. The first was around 4-6 years ago. I cracked the safety glass trying to remove enough PVA to wedge clothes pins in for the sun+wedge method. The cracks propagated and I was left with a glass island in the middle that needed to be chiseled off...After doing half of it I was on the verge of heat stroke and sick of flying pieces of safety glass cutting me so I set the hot tube in a pool of cool water to switch to the water method...I realized how stupid that was once I had it in the water and ran only to hear the face crack and suck water in moments later (the end of that tube)...
Next was a roundy about a year later that was left with a similar island due to similar issues. I was able to chip the safety glass off (albeit with a few tiny nicks in the CRT face) and use the CRT with a new robbed safety glass.
After that one came a friend's set that I was doing a removal on same island developed late (got over zealous with the clothes pins)...That one had a mirror adding extra sun heat which must have heated it unevenly since the face cracked (end of that tube).
The 2 successes in my earlier posts happened.
My most recent half failure was the CRT in a Motorola from the lot the last 2 came from. Safety glass cracked trying to get edge glue out for the clothes pins...I was able to chip it off (with a few small chips in the CRT face) so the CRT should live.

It seems the critical elements to success are not accidentally making the safety glass crack when making room for the wedges, and not getting over zealous inserting the wedges...