Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Workin' Late Again

Zenith Flyback Numbers?

I ran across a NOS Thordarson FLY 274 (direct replacement for a Zenith S-56538). I'm assuming this is round CRT vintage, but I'm not very familiar with the Zenith numbers. Anybody know what Zenith chassis those numbers coincide with?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Workin' Late Again

Oops, I should have googled first. I think I found the answer in this thread - http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=3009200

What I was really hoping is that it would work as a backup for my 25LC30, but I think that's a later number. Probably could be fudged in there if need be.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am still looking for a FLY282 for my Zenith 24MC32Z. I suspect the main difference between flybacks for sets of this vintage are the windings for the convergence circuitry. Although I do recall there were differet taps on the autotransformer which made them incompatible.

I would suppose good indication whether it can be fudged as a replacement is to compare Zenith schematics and check the winding resistances.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Workin' Late Again

The flyback in my 25LC30 is a S58519. I don't see a cross to that number in my 1980 Thordarson replacement guide. Anyone have any other source info?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sams shows no will-fits. Only the Zenith number.
Phil
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
The flyback in my 25LC30 is a S58519. I don't see a cross to that number in my 1980 Thordarson replacement guide. Anyone have any other source info?
Thordardon FLY 275 or a Triad D-328.

Sams 722-4 shows the Zenith number to be a S-58518
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Workin' Late Again

Thanks. I was assuming the number on the back of the HV cage was it, but maybe that's the cage part number.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Workin' Late Again

Here's another interesting NOS FLY I ran across. Anyone know the relationship between an Emerson and a Muntz? Year? RCA clones?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

What you have there would work in an rca ctc17-35 and with a little more tweaking ctc11-35.

Its really not to complicated. All you need to do is get one for a zenith of similar tube type. If its a roundie get one for a roundie...
Then get the sams for the set you have and the one the flyback goes to. First start with any mechanical mods then the electrical. More than likely the majority of the differences are going to be the values of the parts that are on the board thats mounted tot he flyback.
IE, one may use a solid state focus diode and the other a tube. In that case you could delete the focus tube from your set and use the diode or delete the diode and add the focus tube filament winding to the new flyback.

Im sure I have the sams for most all of the zeniths so if you get some numbers and need some help let me know. I have subbed several color flys
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Im sure I have the sams for most all of the zeniths so if you get some numbers and need some help let me know. I have subbed several color flys
Thanks for the help. I don't need one for my Zenith right now, as it's original is working very fine. I'm just pondering what alternate use some of these old numbers might have. This one also seems to look identical to a CTC-15 Fly, only it's minus the PC board parts.
Audiokarma