Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I drank what?!?

new project: Arvin 87k58

I stopped by a real estate open house about a month ago at the site of an old 50's house, mostly original just up the street from my house. I found an old Arvin color TV. The realtor was puzzled why I was more interested in the tv than the house. I explained to him I collect vintage audio & video gear and something like this was one thing I've been looking for. He threw a clever pitch that the rest of my collection would probably look good in the house sitting next to it and I could probably ahve the tv if I bought the house. After laughing at his comment, I gave him my name & number and asked if he would ask the seller if he'd want to get rid of it. Over the weekend I drove by and saw a car and plumber's truck out front and the doors were open. I stopped in, told the guy who I was (he said the realitor said some nut was interested in the old tv) and he let me have it. It was purchased new by his family (didn't say if it was him or a relative.) Anyway, we loaded it up and I took it home after he turned it on and said it hasn't worked in years. Physically its in good shape aside from the water marks on the top. But that can be refinished pretty easily. Only thing that sucks is that I just got rid of an old Arvin console stereo that matches this pretty well.

Figuring any damage had been done by him not firing it up with a variac, I pulled the back off and turned it on in the garage. There is one station I know that still braodcasts in analog, so I turned it there... no picture but sound. I think all the tubes lit up (the filament on the CRT lit up, a good sign.) Hopefully in the near future after I get my old RCA roundie up & running we can focus on bringing this thing back to life. Until then, it will sit in the basement next to the RCA.

Not sure exactly how old this one is, but I'm guessing mid 60's. Its a square screen and says made in Japan on the back (many old Arvin electronics including an old roundie Arvin I had were made in Columbus, Indiana.) Model on the back of the set says 87K58. Label on the inside says TKU9301. Chassis sas TVA50500. No web searches have found anything yet, but I haven't looked too hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1626.jpg (63.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a great find! Can't beat the price!

According to tvhistory.tv Arvin stopped production in 1955. You must have one of the last sets made.

John
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN

Nice set and great price, but with a rectangle tube and the style, i would say 66-68ish, i wonder if arvin was subbing the name to another maker. can't wait to see her up and running.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I drank what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
Nice set and great price, but with a rectangle tube and the style, i would say 66-68ish, i wonder if arvin was subbing the name to another maker. can't wait to see her up and running.
I'm not an expert on old tv's nor arvin, but based on the little reseach & knowledge I have, I'd say it was made by someone else and had the Arvin name put on it. The set says made in Japan on the back. Another older (1948) Arvin tv I had was made in Columbus.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

The original Arvin was Noblitt-Sparks Radio Company. I've seen newer Arvin sets that were imported, like yours. Nice set, and the early Japanese color sets have all but disappeared.... Definitely one to keep!

Charles
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

After doing a Google search I found an Arvin group that started in 1997 and seems to have disappeared. They put their brand on some televisions. I guess yours isn't this modern though.

I wonder how many companies have used the Arvin name since Noblitt-Sparks?

John
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's in Sams 890, dates from around Aug. 1967.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Noblitt-Sparks changed their name to Arvin way back; the company that exists today is still basically the same company Noblitt & Sparks started. (now known as Arvin-Meritor, they are an automotive parts supplier to the OEM) They made radios up into maybe the early 70s, but also imported sets. I think the '55 date is correct or close to it for their TV production. Everything after that would have been outsourced. I have a factory schematic for an Arvin color TV and in the fine print it says Wells-Gardner & Co, a company that made tons of private label sets.

This set isn't too much different from the Sharp I looked at a couple weeks ago. I doubt these are very good sets, even on their best day, but well worth saving for rarity. I like Arvin products and have always wanted to see one of their color TV's.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a vintage Zenith TV just like the one you are describing that I would like to find a good home for. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might start looking for a buyer? We are moving and don't want to take it with us...
Thanks ybron
Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I can't see the picture, is it working for anyone else?
Audiokarma
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I drank what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybron View Post
I have a vintage Zenith TV just like the one you are describing that I would like to find a good home for. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might start looking for a buyer? We are moving and don't want to take it with us...
Thanks ybron
there's no picture and where are you located? I might be interested PM me
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please post a picture we want to see this set thanx....Timothy
Old 12-25-2012, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Noblitt-Sparks changed their name to Arvin way back; the company that exists today is still basically the same company Noblitt & Sparks started. (now known as Arvin-Meritor, they are an automotive parts supplier to the OEM) They made radios up into maybe the early 70s, but also imported sets. I think the '55 date is correct or close to it for their TV production. Everything after that would have been outsourced. I have a factory schematic for an Arvin color TV and in the fine print it says Wells-Gardner & Co, a company that made tons of private label sets.

This set isn't too much different from the Sharp I looked at a couple weeks ago. I doubt these are very good sets, even on their best day, but well worth saving for rarity. I like Arvin products and have always wanted to see one of their color TV's.
All the import Arvin sets I worked on around that time frame were Matsushita sourced. Their color sets had a large power transformer and series string tube. Several odd Euro-type tubes like 9A8, 6BX6, etc.
Same set sold as Penncrest, Singer and Bradford. Seemed to be very reliable.
Portables and table models, that is.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Frenchy

<<The realtor was puzzled why I was more interested in the tv than the house.>>

Besides TVs... between them and pinball machines, 70's calculators, vintage videogames, LED watches... sounds like the story of my life! : )