Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Looking For Time

Oscilloscope Recomendations

As I fall further into the rabbit hole of my new obsession I have realize that a logical next step for me is to invest in an oscilloscope. Does any one have recommendations on what to look for/what to avoid in both a scope and a probe? How about any recommendations on learning material for dummies? What is every one's thought on new versus vintage on scopes?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Best value would, I think, be a 'scope from the 1960s or 1970s. Solid state, at least 20 MHz bandwidth. Try Tektronix, HP, Leader, Hameg. I would avoid Sencore, Heath, EICO, most Precision/B&K. I have two Tektronix and an HP (HP is for sale) and am happy. My daily driver is a Tek 453.

You can get some Chinese jobs I would imagine, that would also give you a big bang for your buck.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
RCA 741PCS

Something else consider is that vintage scopes can generally handle the higher voltages encountered in tube gear. Also, you stand a chance of repairing them if the need should arise. More modern scopes are full of proprietary and specialty parts.

As for probes, I'd use HP, Tek, etc if I could afford them. Instead, I've just been using cheapo ones I got on ebay like these. I doubt they really work well up to 100 MHZ, but are fine for lower frequency work.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
Best value would, I think, be a 'scope from the 1960s or 1970s. Solid state, at least 20 MHz bandwidth. Try Tektronix, HP, Leader, Hameg. I would avoid Sencore, Heath, EICO, most Precision/B&K. I have two Tektronix and an HP (HP is for sale) and am happy. My daily driver is a Tek 453.

You can get some Chinese jobs I would imagine, that would also give you a big bang for your buck.
I never saw any problems with the B&K scopes. They were made by the parent firm of Kenwood and they seemed farirly decent.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I too purchased some of those inexpensive Chinese Scope probes that I use with my Tektronix 7603 Oscilloscopes.

BTW, check out the Tektronix 7603. I have two of these and they use the 7000 series plugins. Nice thing about a scope with plugins, if it malfunctions its highly likely to be with the plugin which you can purchase off Ebay.

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Something else consider is that vintage scopes can generally handle the higher voltages encountered in tube gear. Also, you stand a chance of repairing them if the need should arise. More modern scopes are full of proprietary and specialty parts.

As for probes, I'd use HP, Tek, etc if I could afford them. Instead, I've just been using cheapo ones I got on ebay like these. I doubt they really work well up to 100 MHZ, but are fine for lower frequency work.
Audiokarma
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are a lot of Tektronix 2225's for sale now. I got mine at the pawn shop in very nice shape for $75. This model seems to be a good compromise between price and quality right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Old teks are great

Made mention of this elsewhere so..

Tektronix equipment from the 1960's to the 1970's are just fantastic for our hobby, hands down. Used HP ones from that era are perfect as well. Also....Most all are cheap now if your wise. When I was in school I could not afford a scope of any kind!! Take advantage of this now.

(Copied this from of few of my fav sites about scopes)

453 (50Mhz bandwith) is more than enough for audiophiles
454 (150Mhz bandwidth) is sufficient to work on most hobby oriented digital logic
453 and 454 are sturdy, rock solid, and reliable.

465a/b - 100MHz, dual trace
466 - 100MHz, analog storage, dual trace
468 - 100MHz, digital storage, dual trace, RS-232 output
475 - 200MHz, dual trace, 2mV/div sensitivity
485 - 350MHz, dual trace, fast!!!

I have a TEK 475. In 1973 this cost over 2 thousand bucks...... I got it for less than $100! a few years ago. It was a bit jumpy on the screen when I bought from a guy on eb**, but found a few bad caps in the power supply! BANG. Easy fix as we know, Got a real nice scope now.

I also got a few more tek scopes as well, but every day, I just pull the switch on my 475, I can see anything in radio or TV.

Last edited by Saturn5tony; 04-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

All good advice. HP 'scopes are good. Yes the old B&K were made by Trio but I don't know about specific models so I stay away from the brand.

Vintage 'scopes are nostalgic but they just don't cut it when you need results. I recently tore apart an old Dumont; they just didn't compete. I now have three Tektronix units and one HP; they all work fine. The HP goes to 275 MHz and offers storage; I'd sell that one with both manuals for $250 plus freight.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM
David Thomas

Tektronix (even the big old lab models) are among the best built and longest lasting 'scopes you will ever find. I've owned 3, and was impressed with them all.

That being said, I have also owned two B&K 'scopes and had great service from them, also. While they aren't built like a Tektronix, they are heard to beat for the cost and are typically easier to use than most Tektronix models.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Motorola Minion

I have had an RCA WO-91, 1965 vintage, for a long time and it has always worked well when working on TV's of the same vintage. Its simple and probably easy to fix but I have never done any repair to it though its due for new caps.

If I was starting out, I would get something simple and then decide what features were missing then upgrade.

I decided I needed dual trace-20 mhz and picked a Leader LBO-524 up for $80 at a swap meet. The RCA is a back-up now.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-22-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have two Tek 453s and I love them. I will never have another scope. I got lucky and found mine on ebay for 50 bux shipped. needed nothing. the seller thought it was broken but didn't know how to use it apparently because I calibrated it myself with no issues what so ever. You may be able to get a good working 453 for 100 bux if you go to a hamfest or something. The brother to the 453 is a 454 and is 100mhz and way more than needed but worth a look as well. they tend to be a little more expensive.

Just my opinion.