Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
This TV never got a lot of use after I restored it, I couldn't find a good spot for it. Recently though, it has become useful. It has a strange characteristic, the picture begins quite dim and green, and takes about ten minutes to achieve full brightness and good colour balance. At that point though, the picture looks great, and it looks fantastic as long as you want to use it, except for red which is a bit saturated. Is this just how it goes with a weak CRT?

I, believe red is weak, but certainly not so bad I can't live with it. It's sure nice how there's no cataract on this tv!
You may be able to improve grayscale by adjusting it well after the 10 min warmup... the rest is standard fare for a weak CRT... you may find balance warmup varies with time between last run. On a roundy I plan to replace it will take around half an hour to balance with a week off... With over 1 month off it will take 2 hours to balance, and start out barely lighting at all.

Cataracts especially the green ones are easy to fix... certainly less hastle than recapping a Dumont, or refinishing a wood cabinet.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You may be able to improve grayscale by adjusting it well after the 10 min warmup... the rest is standard fare for a weak CRT... you may find balance warmup varies with time between last run. On a roundy I plan to replace it will take around half an hour to balance with a week off... With over 1 month off it will take 2 hours to balance, and start out barely lighting at all.

Cataracts especially the green ones are easy to fix... certainly less hastle than recapping a Dumont, or refinishing a wood cabinet.
This is the only tv I've done the cataract procedure on, and it looks fantastic. What you describe is what I saw, it hadn't been on in a year or two and it came up very, very slow.

It does balance out well when it's warm, except red smears a bit because it's pinned all the way up. The Motorola chassis makes a wonderful clean picture, very little geometric distortion and great colour. Sounds good too.

I have an RCA tv which has a nos testing 25XP22 in it, which would likely look better with the motorola chassis than it does with the CTC38 it's in. Some day maybe will make the swap - that one does have an RCA style cataract needing repair still though.