Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Thanks Max - for this is a great thread for encouraging early SS TV repair. I think I fumbled 30+ years ago by NOT salvaging every Zenith tension-band CRT I came across, these did not get cataracts. I kept just a 23V from a 1978 CCII, and another VK member drove from Wisconsin to pick it up for a 1968 Zenith. An RCA 25XP22 might even improve things but you put a lot of time into the restoring that original CRT.

I have acquired another Motorola WID (very recently and free in the Phila suburbs!) that was built in 1970, A later run of the same TS915 chassis yours has along with the 25ZP22 in similar condition with yellow cataract. The cabinet is French provincial walnut and in need of a stripping also, I use Soy-gel for that (beanie-doo) because it pulls off finish nicely but leaves much of the grain filler alone.

The TS-919 was a very rare flat-chassis version of the TS915. Never saw one in person.

As far as commercials, I recall "Qua-sar" being sung by a female, the "by Motorola" in a deep male voice. I think the WID design sold quite a few sets to Engineer and Mechanic types alike!

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.