Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator

A capacitor left loose!

While working on this 1937-ish Silvertone radio, I noticed that one of the caps, a .1 uF 600V, was left dangling with the foil lead on the chassis. It looks like it attaches to some pin of either the 6F5 or 6C5. There is no model number on this one, but it uses 6F5, 6C5, pair of 6F6s, 6H6, pair of 6K7s, a 6A8, and a 5V4.

Help
Old 07-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Tim Tress

Hi again, Kam.... Is there a chassis number on it? Silvertone sets had a chassis identification number which also identified the manufacturer. Look for a three digit number followed by a decimal point and more digits; this will be the chassis number. Wih this info, I can look it up in my Rider manuals.

If there is no number on the set, post the part numbers of a few large components (power transformer, volume control, etc) This may help identify it.

Last edited by Tim Tress; 07-17-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Just found out that it's a Silvertone 4586....does anyone happen to have a schematic?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:40 PM
On Land

Tim,

I found a Riders for a silvertone 4586, but the some of the tubes in this schematic are slightly different. This shows the following...

5Y3 rectifier
6K7 RF
6C5 osc
6K7 IF
6L7 transl
6Q7 avc, det, AF
6F6 (2) audio out
6C5 phase changer
6G5 green eye

I've scanned it if you'd like to take a look. PM me with your email and I'll zap it to you.

The date on it shows Aug 1936.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Email is audiokarma@aol.com
Old 07-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Tim Tress

Beware!! Sears sometimes re-used model numbers. My 1950 Sams "red book" cross reference shows that the Silvertone 4586 has the 100.156 chassis, which was made by Stewart-Warner. Their listing for that chassis matches your set, Kam, but also includes a 6G5 tube. This chassis isn't listed in my 1947 Rider's index.

You might try looking at some Stewart-Warner schematics to see if anything matches up. Nostalgia Air has scans of the Rider manuals free for the downloading - check their website.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
On Land

Using numbers twice

Yes, this is true. Sears did have a bad habit of doing this. i have discovered this with some Silvertone items I have here. Although, it does seem that they at least wait a few years before using a number again. Two Sears radios I have both use the same number, but the sets are about 8 years apart.

Kam described his set as being 1937-ish, and this schematic shows 1936. In most cases, I would consider this to be a match. But, yes there are a few different tubes in there to consider. Although we've all seen crazier things, I wouldn't think they would use model numbers twice this close together. Perhaps someone had substituted some tubes in kam's radio? Hopefully Kam will be able to determine this once he looks over the schematic.

I found the 4586 in Rider's volume 8... i think it was page 8-42. I don't recall it showing a chassis number. In fact, I just stumbled across it by opening the first volume I grabbed. I don't have an index, and I figured I was going to have to search for quite some time. I guess it was luck. Take a look on that page and see what you think, Trees.

In any case, yes, model numbers being used twice is something to be considered here. Like Mr. Spock is famous for saying... There are ALWAYS possibilities!

Old 07-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Tim Tress

I looked at Rider's 8-42; that's a Colonial chassis. (Sears production source code 101) It's hard to say if the schematic will match the radio that Kam is working on.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Tim Tress

I found it! Kam, your set's a 4586-B, chassis 100.156; and it's in Riders volume 18, page 1.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:19 PM
AK Member

Damn, you guys are good!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 PM
in with the old

Nostalgia Air has all 3 models available in pdf. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/370/T0000370.htm
Old 07-30-2004, 07:06 PM
On Land

Man it's amazing what we can dig up when the need arrises! Especially when ya think about the fact that this stuff dates back so far, and many times we have little to go on!

This is what makes AK the greatest!

Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

You guys are the best!!

Tomorrow I shall break out the soldering iron and report