Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

None of those cable-ready Channel 1 sets are tuning the "real" 44-50 MHz channel, though. I think I have even seen a "channel zero" on some kind of cable-ready device once.

A local digital TV station here, thanks to the abilities of the PSIP system, calls its channels "one-dash" various numbers.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-25-2012, 02:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
If W9XZV was the first "all-electric TV station", were the others steam powered? Perhaps using disused locomotives as a joke promo I saw years ago out of the U.K.?
Once in a TV studio being readied for a show with a very famous TV star, the
director wandered in and asked an engineer if he could straighten up all the camera and mic cables. He wanted it to look nice that day.

The engineer, a good friend of mine who was deep into a broken camera that was needed in less than an hour turned and said, "Be glad were not doing all this with steam!"

Cliff
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Channel 1 in Britain & New Zealand & channel 0 in Australia were in the mid 40 Mhz part of low band (band 1). London's Crystal Palace transmitter blasted 200 KW's of ch 1 to South East England. Ch 1 was also used in Northern Ireland in the Belfast area & Cornwall in South West England.

All of the High power low band (band 1) transmitters in Britain used vertical polarization & most (but not all) medium & low power ones used horizontal polarization. they did this to try & reduce co-channel interference which was a big problem at the time.

VHF TV on 405 lines was gradually shut down in the early 80's & the last transmission was in January 1985. Most people stopped using VHF TV in the early 70's as the old 405 lines only TV's wore out & were replaced by 625 lines UHF only sets, also colour was only broadcast on 625 lines UHF..
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
London's Crystal Palace transmitter blasted 200 KW's of ch 1 to South East England.
It also ran interference for Britain in the battle of the beams against the Nazi's 3rd attempt at radio-navigation and bombing, known as Y-Gerät. The Germans happened to pick ~45MHz for their system, and with minimal tweaking, London had one hell of a countermeasure available.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
None of those cable-ready Channel 1 sets are tuning the "real" 44-50 MHz channel, though. I think I have even seen a "channel zero" on some kind of cable-ready device once.
My Jerrold StarCom III has "channel zero".
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
It also ran interference for Britain in the battle of the beams against the Nazi's 3rd attempt at radio-navigation and bombing, known as Y-Gerät. The Germans happened to pick ~45MHz for their system, and with minimal tweaking, London had one hell of a countermeasure available.
Ah yes NoPegs an interesting subject. I've read a few books on the 'Battle of the beams' fascinating stuff. The BBC shut down the transmitter just before war was declared, 'to prevent German aircraft using it as a beacon' they said! But did they know what was coming & so might need it for something else? The BBC radio programs on long wave & medium wave (AM) were made a single frequency synchronized network to prevent them being used as radio beacons..