Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:05 PM
radiodayz

1993 Goldstar?

I found a 1993 Goldstar 12" portable on the curb (actually in the front yard of an apparently-abandoned house). The "BPC" era, I know, but I brought it home, cleaned it up, plugged it in to A/C and a converter box, and it seems to work fine. Nice sharp, clear picture, good color values. What do you guys think of this brand (now LG) and era? (Actually my favorites from that time are Sony Trinitrons, it's not quite up to that quality standard but seems close).
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

They were about as good as any other 13" set from that time period, as long as they didn't have a Zenith CRT installed. I've seen several 19" Coldstar TV's that had Zenith/Rauland CRT's installed in them and they were often bad, just like in the Zenith TV's.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
They were about as good as any other 13" set from that time period, as long as they didn't have a Zenith CRT installed. I've seen several 19" Coldstar TV's that had Zenith/Rauland CRT's installed in them and they were often bad, just like in the Zenith TV's.
I always found the 13" Zenith CRT's, to stand up rather well. It was the 19,20's and up, that didn't.
I have two Sanyo-built Sears sets, built around the same time. One has a Sylvania and the other, a Rauland/Zenith CRT. The one with the Sylvania looks a bit tired. Both sets were about the same condition with very little dust inside.
Most of the smaller Goldstars, seemed to use their own CRT, where the larger ones used US sourced CRT's.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Angry

what i remember about Goldstar was when they first sold tv's here around the middle 80's. They had a 13" portable that retailed for $99 which was half of any other color portable "I had a rca xl100 portable that i got for a christmas present that sold for $199.00 as it was advertised in a the sunday paper then" The goldstars only came with a 30 day guarantee and about 6 months later several church members who knew i liked to tinker with radios and tvs gave me their dead 6 month old sets that cost more to fix than they cost. Most of the problems were horrible solder joints. the circuit boards had lead cicles as in "lead icicles", it looked like they were using old tire weights in their lead wave soldering machines. I got a couple of them working but after a while i stopped taking them in because they were taking up too much room in my parents basement.
I understand why they changed their name to LG instead of Lucky Goldstar, It is hard to accept that LG killed Zenith then hollowed them out to to a rubber stamp brand.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
radiodayz

"it is hard to accept that LG killed Zenith then hollowed them out to a rubber stamp brand."

Indeed, mr_fixer. The Zenith brand deserved better.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 PM
real TVs have a CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
what i remember about Goldstar was when they first sold tv's here around the middle 80's. They had a 13" portable that retailed for $99 which was half of any other color portable "I had a rca xl100 portable that i got for a christmas present that sold for $199.00 as it was advertised in a the sunday paper then" The goldstars only came with a 30 day guarantee and about 6 months later several church members who knew i liked to tinker with radios and tvs gave me their dead 6 month old sets that cost more to fix than they cost. Most of the problems were horrible solder joints. the circuit boards had lead cicles as in "lead icicles", it looked like they were using old tire weights in their lead wave soldering machines. I got a couple of them working but after a while i stopped taking them in because they were taking up too much room in my parents basement.
I understand why they changed their name to LG instead of Lucky Goldstar, It is hard to accept that LG killed Zenith then hollowed them out to to a rubber stamp brand.
I had a 1985 B/W Gold star tv and it had very good picture. I gave the seat to a friend and still works to this day. The CRT is getting weak but it's still very watchable picture. I'm not the biggest fan Gold Star.

Last edited by liammc00; 09-30-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

The only Goldstar TV I have is one that is built into a VCR. I think maybe it is a 5 or 6 inch color screen. Seems good enough, but at that size, it is not a good way to give a review of their products.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bring me back my Zenith!