Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:22 AM
<----Zenith C845

I saw the ebay listing for that Philco color TV. It may need more than just cataract surgery on the CRT--the picture looks like it doesn't fill the screen vertically. The vertical osc or output tube may be weak, unless of course someone was fiddling with the height and/or linearity adjustments. I'd replace the tube(s) first, if the controls don't seem to have enough range.

BTW, I was browsing on ebay the other day and saw a 1983-vintage Zenith three-way color console, with Space Command and Space Phone (I wonder if Doug was bidding on it) that had a very good picture, except for what the seller referred to as "black bands" in the picture and a hum in the sound. We AKers know these symptoms as those of defective filter capacitors; however, the seller said he had used the set only four years, then stored it in an air-conditioned building until he put it up for bids on the bay (presumably when the hum bars and audio hum developed--he or she may have thought the set wasn't worth repairing after just four years). I wonder about that; after all, the Zenith Space Phone series color consoles, TV alone as well as combo units, were not cheap, selling for something on the order of $500 or more when they were new. Any TV that expensive should last through the first major breakdown (say CRT or flyback failure) and one or two minor ones, before the owner even thinks of junking it. I wonder as well if the seller of the Zenith on ebay was just selling the set to make room in his family room, basement, etc. He said the set could be repaired for "under $100.00"; if this was true then why, I find myself wondering, didn't he just go ahead and have the thing repaired? As I said, with a TV costing $500+ new, a $100 or less repair bill is or should be simply a drop in the bucket, so to speak. The only other thing I can think of is the seller got a new widescreen HDTV and decided he didn't need the Zenith any longer. Go figure.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 AM
heathkit tv

The seller may have tried to have it repaired but was told that it was "too old" and/or "not worth repairing"

I see a lot of this attitude in the car repair biz....unless it's a quick high profit job, most shops don't want to be bothered with it regardless of the intrinsic quality of the vehicle (or TV) in question.

Anthony
Old 03-31-2005, 05:04 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Another victim of the modern mentality of disposable everything. I've seen people throw away perfectly working five year old TV's simply because they wanted a new one. At least once I've seen a late 80's/early 90's console on the side of the road with a sign "FREE: Works perfectly". This country is extremely wasteful, and most people think that new means better. They'd rather spend $200 on a 'nice, brand new' "Symphonic" or "Apex" television than to spend $100 to have a high end, four year old Zenith repaired. "Look - this new set's silver! Much nicer than that wood thing!"

Ugh. Oh well. At least this means that the good stuff is pretty cheap for us.

-Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 PM
<--1956 300B

I took the Philco apart tonight. Pulled the CRT to fix the cataract. The safety glass fell off the bonding material once the tape was removed. I did not have to use my heat gun. I will take pictures of the chassis while I have it out. Will post them later.

polaraman
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHacker
Another victim of the modern mentality of disposable everything. I've seen people throw away perfectly working five year old TV's simply because they wanted a new one. At least once I've seen a late 80's/early 90's console on the side of the road with a sign "FREE: Works perfectly". This country is extremely wasteful, and most people think that new means better. They'd rather spend $200 on a 'nice, brand new' "Symphonic" or "Apex" television than to spend $100 to have a high end, four year old Zenith repaired. "Look - this new set's silver! Much nicer than that wood thing!"

Ugh. Oh well. At least this means that the good stuff is pretty cheap for us.

-Ian
I see what you mean. It's a shame people just toss things for something new. Still on the other hand, as you pointed out, it makes it easier for us, I've gotten some good stereo equipment that way.
Audiokarma
Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 AM
<--1956 300B

Chassis view. I did not clean it this is how I got it. Really clean!

polaraman
Old 04-02-2005, 01:39 AM
<--1956 300B

Underside of chassis

polaraman
Old 04-02-2005, 01:47 AM
<--1956 300B

I found a date in there of 27 DEC 1961. All the tubes in the set were RCA. Found three bad tubes 6EA8, 6AQ5 and a 6EM7. The picture below is what I got. The picture is folded and does not fill the screen. I will order the lytics and get those replaced.

polaraman
Old 04-02-2005, 02:17 AM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
I took the Philco apart tonight. Pulled the CRT to fix the cataract. The safety glass fell off the bonding material once the tape was removed. I did not have to use my heat gun. I will take pictures of the chassis while I have it out. Will post them later.

polaraman
Is that actually the bonding material laying on the floor in the center of that picture? WOW!

Anthony
Old 04-02-2005, 09:47 AM
<--1956 300B

Heath,

That is the bonding material. I almost got it off in one piece also. This cataract was an easy fif. The other two I did were a real mess.

polaraman
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
<--1956 300B

Took the smashed CRTs out of the CTC 16 and the Sylvania roundie sets tonight. The Sylvania had a rubber gasket around the safety glass and no bonding material. The safety glass was held by the metal ring that the holds the CRt in place. The CTC 16 had just a 1/4" ring of adhesive around the edge to hold the faceplate on. Again no bonding material. I will save the face plates for future projects and trash the shashed CRTs. Guess I just got lucky and did not have to fight to get them off.

polaraman
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Damn does run fast…

Zenith used the rubber ring thing on their 21FBP22 based sets. You can't tell it's an FB until you check the neck or pull the tube out altogether. I guess they did this to modernize the looks. I wonder if a rubber gasket and faceplate could work on an FJ too? afterall, an FJ without the faceplate's just an FB...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:18 PM
<--1956 300B

Where can I order 160MFD 250V elecrtolytic caps? Seems as though 220MFD is the nearest lytic tubes and more has.

polaraman