Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice ctc10(?) on ebay!

NIce set. Im going to guess its either a 10 or 11? Seems like these roundies are showing up often on ebay these days! Found it searching "vintage rca color". He has it listed in reel to reel tape recorders, so this one might slip by cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Last edited by drh4683; 03-27-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 AM
heathkit tv

Am not normally a big fan of the Oriental style cabinets, but that sure is a good looking set! Gotta love his typos!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Wow - that is a nice looking set. And it's relatively close to me too... Very, very tempting. Hmm, I'm going to fight with myself for a while on this one, I need to be 100% sure I have someplace to put it. It seems I've been accquiring stuff rather rapidly lately. I need to make room. I don't have a roundie yet though... Aack! Must... rationalize.... purchase.... Must... make... space... first...

-Ian
Old 04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Electronics Accumulator

GAH! I just got home from work - the price went up to over $200!!! Well, so much for that set, I love the cabinet but man, I really don't think I can spend that much money for it. Well, unless I can convince myself to spend two weeks pay on one television in the next 10 minutes, it looks like I'll have to keep hunting for a roundie. Sometimes I hate eBay.

-Ian
Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

You think 200 bucks is a lot of money for a working minty set like that? Man, if that was here in Los Angeles I would be picking it up right now!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Well, I guess you could say that - and while it does _work_, it's going to need caps. I mean, yeah, I guess you could say that it's a fair price, it's just that $200 is a LOT of money. It really is. I just plain can't really afford to spend that much right now. I was prepared to go $150, maybe even $175, but that combined with the gas to go get the thing, I just plain don't have the money. I don't know - I guess it depends on my mood. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself hard tomorrow for not going for it. But I guess I'll just have to keep hunting. And hunting. I mean, I love these sets - I would LOVE to have a roundie, and yeah, I guess I would be willing to spend $200 on one. Maybe. But I guess it was just that something just didn't _feel_ right. Something about the auction, that set, the seller's inept spelling and lack of any common sense. I guess it's just one of those things I'll have to tackle when I get to it, to always look ahead. I guess now that I should have tried for it, although something tells me I would have been outbid.

Ugh. I'm rambling again. I really shouldn't use eBay (or the computers for that matter) when I'm depressed. It just makes things worse.

-Ian
Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Patience, grasshopper. You WILL have a roundie-soon, I would think. I'll wager when you do run upon one, it will be in a most unlikely place/situation. That's how it happened for me. You have a neighborhood/township free newspaper? Advertise in there-all kinds of "little old lady" types read them-you never know, you might run up on a CT-100 3 blocks away...-Sandy G.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

The new owner is among us

I confess. I bought it and I am now only figuring out where to put it. Hey, the last roundie I bought that was working was 9 years ago and it is still working with no caps ever changed. My daily watcher. A CTC-9 "Caulfield". Just a few tubes over the years.

This set looks promising. I especially liked the style and bought it for that reason. It may end up at work on display in my shop.

And is there anyone nearby that might do a pony express to get it to me in Philadelphia? My work schedule is tough right now and you will be rewarded with cash and tickets to a Phillies game.

I will be bringing a CTC-9 "Winslow" to Kutztown to sell at the DVHRC swap meet. It is actually trying to work as is, but needs some TLC. The cabinet is a fake finish that needs touchup on the edges. Be sure to get there for a great meet. As a member of the club, I am selling it there to help attendance. See it at Ed's site;

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Galler...iinslow595.gif

If I can fit it in the van, I may also sell a CTC-7 "Pensbury" that has been re-capped but still has some problems. B+ I think. Good cabinet with some sun-fading. Stay tuned.

Dave A
Old 04-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Now I feel better about not buying it - at least it went to anoter AK'er. I woke up this morning, mentally kicking myself for not bidding, telling myself that I could swing $200, etc... Oh well. I'll find a roundie one of these days. I just need to keep searching.

Hope all goes well with the set Dave - you'll have to keep us updated. That's a really beautiful cabinet, and it should fix up good. Some new caps and it'll be good as new. But you'll have to take some pictures of the chassis - I really want to see what's in there!

-Ian
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
AK Member

about 10 years ago i was riding my bike to my friends house down the street and they were having a yard sale,back then i was into old tabletop radios,i picked up 2 for 5 bucks.but in the garage there was a blonde rca color set that lokks like the one that is at the link mentioned above,the lady said i could have it for 50 bucks,i talked her down to 15 plus walking her dog for 2 weeks,sad to say she divorced in the week that i was suppose to get it,and she said it was her husbands and he wanted it,she gave me 20 bucks for all of the trouble.im soooooooo sure that the tv is still there collecting dust.
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
heathkit tv

Charlie, you still live in that same area? It might be worth looking up that guy, he may be willing to let it go now (if he still has it). I find that a lot of people are relieved to find someone who's willing to rescue their set from the fate of the dumps. Especially if you'll restore and cherish it (as opposed to selling it to make a quick buck).

Anthony