Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

need more info on removing bonded safety glass

when i get the curtis mathis, if the jug tests ok i'd like to take a stab at removing the bonded safety glass, clean and reinstall.

has anyone had good luck with this process?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Dead from the neck up

I had excellent luck. It wasn't a round tube. I inverted the tube in a large box (a shop vac bucket would work if it's large enough. Then, I took a heat gun and set it to the highest setting. I ran the gun over the glass until the PVA bubbled. Then, I was able to remove the glass and PVA. You have to work quickly. Aftet I got the PVA off the tube and glass, I cleaned both surfaces with glass cleanse several times. After that, I put a bead of clear silicone around the edge of the tube and placed the galss on it. After the silicone was fully cured, I wrapped packing tape around the edges. My tube showed good emission, but I have not confirmed if it's getting gassy or if I have an HV problem. If the tube is a Zenith replacement, this will not work.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
heathkit tv

Although I have yet to repair cataracts, from what I've read you should place some sort of spacers around the outer edge between the tube and the safety glass. Some people have used little pieces from a Popsicle stick. I guess this is to keep the original dimensions as there's no longer any bonding material in between.

Might also prevent any damage in case something should strike the safety glass like a errant ball tossed by a kid etc.

Anthony
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Frenchy

see my success at removing a cataract and remounting the glass last week on a round color tube under the 'ctc-16 on ebay' thread, it took a while to come loose but with enough wedging of sticks and enough heat gun heating it eventually loosens and -pop- it lifts right off. Then I just put in three spacers, put in a bead of silicone all around the edge and reinstalled.