Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco Predicta 21" Clear cover removal, etc.

After many moons, I've decided to attack another Predicta 21" set. This one's purely routine, but has had damage to the protective, clear screen covering the picture tube. Some prior owner literally ripped it off the spring-loaded band which held it on to the back case and metal structure under the crt (and damaging it in the process.) I've always had trouble removing the clear screen protector on previous versions of this set but succeeded. This one is the proverbial you know what. Anyone found the magical "open sesame?" if so, please let me know. I need to know how to put it back on (when the time comes) without swearing up a blue streak! many thanks!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:24 PM
M is for Memory

One option may be to install the band without the spring then add the spring at the end using needlenose pliers to hook the end of the spring to the band. I only have one 17" predicta (that I did a CRT swap on) so this method may not work on the 21" for all I know. I did not have much trouble with my 17" set.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
One option may be to install the band without the spring then add the spring at the end using needlenose pliers to hook the end of the spring to the band. I only have one 17" predicta (that I did a CRT swap on) so this method may not work on the 21" for all I know. I did not have much trouble with my 17" set.
I agree with your advice. One thing I can say is when you do it correctly, it actually is a fairly easy procedure. I too battled with mine many years ago when I had a "Holiday" model. When I learned the right way it was a breeze.
This is from ARF:
First remove the gold colored plastic trim strip. It's held in place by a spring with hooks on the ends that pass through eyelets in the strip. The spring is at the bottom of the CRT. If the decorative brass plate is still present (held by a couple of small screws) take it off so that you can get to the spring. It is possible to wrestle the trim off without removing the spring, and then pull the strip loose from the spring - I've done it, but I won't recommend it for fear of damage to the strip. There should be a metal strap underneath that holds the front cover in place. This strap is held in place by screws at the two ends (this is also at the bottom of the CRT). Remove the metal strap, and the front cover will come off.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the advice. I've just now finished wrestling with the clamping steel band and finally got the plastic band back on. What a nightmare! I would not have had to do any of this if it hadn't been because the prior owner seriously damaged the supposedly transparent plastic face plate and made it impossible to see the crt screen. I had to do a really difficult renewal of both the internal and external surfaces to get them back to being transparent! All's well now. (P/S I think Philco went out of their way to make the installation a pain in the you know what!)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ralph, I used to wrestle with trying to use needle nose pliers to hook the second eyelet on that gold band when I first started this hobby, until I figured out the spring gave enough stretch to be able to pop the band on and off without unhooking it. That is, go ahead and hook it first, then work it on. One or two I can remember were so tight that this would bend the spring hooks (weak spring maybe) but for most of them this routine works great.
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I also found the easiest way to get the gold band back on was to hook it first then stretch it around the perimeter of the housing with some plastic tools, quite nerve wracking actually.

It's possible the owner didn't do the damage to the screen, they are known to grow mold and turn opaque on their own, and also smell bad.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I also found the easiest way to get the gold band back on was to hook it first then stretch it around the perimeter of the housing with some plastic tools, quite nerve wracking actually.

It's possible the owner didn't do the damage to the screen, they are known to grow mold and turn opaque on their own, and also smell bad.
That's how I did mine. There is a pucker factor for sure but if careful it seems to work out.