Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 AM
Administrator

5" TMK found

Picked up this 1981 TMK set last weekend, don't ask me why, felt sorry for it I guess.

It came with it's original box but not all the packing, the 12v car cord is there along with the ac cord, it's pretty clean cosmetically but needs a good cleaning with some 409.

It had some massively corroded D cells still in it, they didn't do much damage though, just a little corrosion on a couple of the contact springs.

The CRT may be shot, it's tracking heavily green, it may adjust out or it may not, I have to remove the back to find out.

It took several minutes of running before the horizontal and vertical would lock in, probably some caps needed to reform but it seems pretty stable now, it just looks really sick because of the green cast.

If the CRT won't track it'll be going back to the Thrift Store, it may go back anyway because I don't really need it, want it, or have room for it, but I just like to tinker with this stuff sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmkfront.jpg (43.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg tmkside.jpg (21.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg tmkscreen.jpg (34.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 AM
Peanut Head

Aww..poor little fella. Must be green with envy...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Believe it or not TMK's were a good cheap set. We were
shocked that they ran a good & fast parts dept.
The earlier ones broke dial cords but it came as an assy so
a fast easy repair. Just a few screws....

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Picked up this 1981 TMK set last weekend, don't ask me why, felt sorry for it I guess.

It came with it's original box but not all the packing, the 12v car cord is there along with the ac cord, it's pretty clean cosmetically but needs a good cleaning with some 409.

It had some massively corroded D cells still in it, they didn't do much damage though, just a little corrosion on a couple of the contact springs.

The CRT may be shot, it's tracking heavily green, it may adjust out or it may not, I have to remove the back to find out.

It took several minutes of running before the horizontal and vertical would lock in, probably some caps needed to reform but it seems pretty stable now, it just looks really sick because of the green cast.

If the CRT won't track it'll be going back to the Thrift Store, it may go back anyway because I don't really need it, want it, or have room for it, but I just like to tinker with this stuff sometimes.
The fumes from the corroding d cells, might have affected the settings on the CRT board. Take it apart for S&G's and look. If you can't correct it, then returns it.
Most thrifts around here sold those things for a buck or two!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I paid $10 for this one, high considering the other Thrift Store often sells working BPC sets (and Trinitrons) for as little as $6.98.

This particular store stopped selling CRT sets some time ago but they still have the occasional small set like this, guess they figure there's some collector interest.

I got a later model Portacolor from them a few years back.
Audiokarma
Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kmart at the time must of sold truck loads of these sets back then.I have the TMK color set from 1985 which blown the focus pot 3 years from when I bought it new from Kmart.I have a several TMK B/W sets here but I dont recall having that model in the OP.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Opened it up tonight and tweaked the screens a bit, it didn't take much, plenty of range left. Touched up the focus also and sprayed some Deoxit in the controls, well actually sprayed Deoxit at the controls, they are kind of buried so I just had to spray and hope for the best, it seemed to work as they got easier to turn.

This thing is really well built, old school quality and packed like a can of Sardines. One of those sets you don't really want to take too far apart because you'd never get it back together again.

The CRT has an Orion label, possibly the manufacturer of the entire set?

I also sprayed the cabinet cover down with some 409, it's cleaner now, I think some of the film was corroded battery funk, there was some on the screen cover too but it wiped right off with water.

The movie is widescreen DVD of Midway, not a good choice to demo a 5" set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmkscreens.jpg (28.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg tmkchassis.jpg (48.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg tmkmidway1.jpg (34.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg tmkmidway2.jpg (6.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg tmkmidway3.jpg (21.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Opened it up tonight and tweaked the screens a bit, it didn't take much, plenty of range left. Touched up the focus also and sprayed some Deoxit in the controls, well actually sprayed Deoxit at the controls, they are kind of buried so I just had to spray and hope for the best, it seemed to work as they got easier to turn.

This thing is really well built, old school quality and packed like a can of Sardines. One of those sets you don't really want to take too far apart because you'd never get it back together again.

I also sprayed the cabinet cover down with some 409, it's cleaner now, I think some of the film was corroded battery funk, there was some on the screen cover too but it wiped right off with water.

The movie is widescreen DVD of Midway, not a good choice to demo a 5" set.
I'm glad that you got it up and running.Oops my bad.I thought it was a B/W set at first.What mod no# is it.I have the TMK 755 set here I bought new in 1985 .
Old 08-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Administrator

It's a model 750C with a build date of April 1981.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:

Toyomenka made the set. Big electronics firm in that era - made a lot of domestic Japanese stuff, and had a US HQ in Secaucus NJ. While the TMK stuff was sold by lesser discount stores (Ames, Bradlees, Kmart, TG&Y, etc), they were a presence in audio as well, making some Phone/Cassette/Radio units also sold at discount stores under various store or other names. Their imports started in the 1960s, as promotions with airlines that introduced travel and routes to Tokyo via CONUS airports. Some magazine ads are still around with the "get this transistor all band radio free when you book a flight" kind of thing. While not mentioned by brand name, the radio is a Toyo or TMK radio.

Toyomenka along the way became a spin off of Toyota's electronics and raw materials arm. They originally were and arm of Sanyo.

http://www.toyota-tsusho.com/english...ory-tomen.html

Orion, like Clinton, NEC and Hitachi, sold CRTs to everyone. Even RCA used one in their little 5" BW radio/TV/Clock sets of the late 1970s. We had one in for service once - under the RCA label was the UL/import clearance label with the Orion name.

EDIT: Up until a few months ago, I had a similar TMK chassis. It was a dropped set, and broke the plastic surrounding the CRT face and dislodged the shadow mask. I salvaged a few parts with a soldering iron and tossed the chassis.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 08-19-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2017, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I knew, you'd see it my way.
Looks good!
Deep down, you really wanted it!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Toyomenka made the set. Big electronics firm in that era - made a lot of domestic Japanese stuff, and had a US HQ in Secaucus NJ. While the TMK stuff was sold by lesser discount stores (Ames, Bradlees, Kmart, TG&Y, etc), they were a presence in audio as well, making some Phone/Cassette/Radio units also sold at discount stores under various store or other names. Their imports started in the 1960s, as promotions with airlines that introduced travel and routes to Tokyo via CONUS airports. Some magazine ads are still around with the "get this transistor all band radio free when you book a flight" kind of thing. While not mentioned by brand name, the radio is a Toyo or TMK radio.

Toyomenka along the way became a spin off of Toyota's electronics and raw materials arm. They originally were and arm of Sanyo.

http://www.toyota-tsusho.com/english...ory-tomen.html

Orion, like Clinton, NEC and Hitachi, sold CRTs to everyone. Even RCA used one in their little 5" BW radio/TV/Clock sets of the late 1970s. We had one in for service once - under the RCA label was the UL/import clearance label with the Orion name.

EDIT: Up until a few months ago, I had a similar TMK chassis. It was a dropped set, and broke the plastic surrounding the CRT face and dislodged the shadow mask. I salvaged a few parts with a soldering iron and tossed the chassis.
Wow.Thats some info I did not know about TMK. Unisonic sets used a Orion CRTs.I know my 3 inch set has one .I cant remember if the 2 inch set has.

Quote:
Thanks.The 755 is the younger brother.I think I have a TMK VCR somewhere around here and some VCR manuals that were discarded from the shop years ago.I cant recall if they were any good or who make them for TMK.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

TMK Set

You got it going! Nice work. That's a cool set. agree the build quality looks real good as well.