Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Once we figured out what was going on they made us a ton of $$$
(AA, AB & AC chassis) and ran decent for the $$. I would take one
over the tube Portacolor ANY day.

Zeno
The last of the tube Porta-Colors weren't too bad, fairly reliable. The HD&HE chassis. The HD still had the LV focus CRT. The only Porta-Colors I have are those two models. Picture is rather decent! The HD is low hour so the focus is good.

colors
Old 05-16-2023, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
RCA 19" CTC101s had many bad flybacks, but little else went wrong with Colortrak.
RCA had a bad run of flys in 1981, maybe half a year. To their credit, they apparently solved the problem early as I had changed a lot of them in warranty, but never changed one after that.

It wasn't just the 101, it also affected the smaller 107/8/9/10 chassis of 1981 as well.

Back to topic, I remember when Admiral first came out with their modular lineup of SS chassis. They were good performers but we had a bunch fail in warranty and we stopped selling them.

The Sears/Warwicks were decent performers but they could be troublesome.

The GEs with griplets became glitchy about the fourth year of use, but I made a lot of money on them. My brother (the soldier) used to hard wire them top to bottom, but I'd wash the boards, solder the top, solder the bottoms, then resolder the tops. Took about half hour plus drying time - never saw one come back.

The problem is that the boards would outgas when reflowing the solder so I'd hold the iron on the griplet until the "boiling" stopped.

John
Old 05-18-2023, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had one of those Magnavox inline CRT 19" sets with the dot burned in the center of the screen. The problem with that one (and a similar 13" Philco) was insulation breakdown on the yoke windings and the resulting carbon track. The set would work a short time then the sweep would collapse with a nice bright spot in the center, eventually causing a burnt spot in the phosphor. Great picture when actually working, though.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

One I forgot to mention was a mid '80s Matsushita chassis that was used in 25" Panasonic, Quasar, some GE, and some store-brand sets. The flyback was a TLF14423F and that, along with the HOT, was almost guaranteed to be bad. The circuit boards were crap, often having broken solder connections, and the jugs didn't hold up well. They really didn't have that great of a picture when they were new.