Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fuani-made TVs

I can't really speak of the quality of older Funai TVs, if any actually existed, because I don't recall having my hands on any. However, the ones from the '90s and 2000s were fairly lackluster. Later Magnavox, Emerson, Sylvania, and Symphonic CRT TVs will usually have Funai guts in them.

I was just reminded of that when I was given a 27" Emerson, built by Funai, flat-tube set from 2002. It belonged to my former pastor, who used it up until about 2012, when he got a flat screen and put the Emerson in the shed, where it sat until he recently gave it to me.

It still worked, but the volume tact switches were fouled up. For example, I could press the "volume up" button and the menu would come up. I replaced the two bad switches with ones from my junk, and fixed a bunch of bad solder connections in the sweep areas and on the CRT neck board. I also replaced the 100uf pump-up capacitor in the vertical circuit, since that is a very high failure part in all later model CRT sets. When that cap starts to go bad, the result is fold over and/or thin white lines at the top of the screen. Most of they time, the owner will keep watching the set that way and as the capacitor worsens, it causes the vertical output IC to overheat and burn up.

The set is now working pretty good, I programmed a universal remote that I had on hand for it, and I have it listed for sale on Facebook for a very cheap price. However, I'm not holding my breath waiting on it to sell. If it don't go pretty quick, I'll drop it off at one of the thrift stores, and I really need to stop taking in BPC/SPC CRT sets. If it's not old enough to have knobs or a pushbutton varactor tuner, then I probably need to leave it where I found it.

Back around 2007, the church I was attending at the time had a low end 19" BPC set that was either a Sylvania or Symphonic, but it was definitely a Funai set. The only time it was used was on Sunday morning, as a monitor for the church broadcast. One Sunday, it wouldn't turn on and somebody there knew that I fooled with old TV, and asked if I wanted it. It was going into overcurrent shutdown and the fault was a shorted boost rectifier off of the flyback transformer. This diode was a tiny, underrated glass diode, which I upgraded to a beefier diode.

However, there were later CRT sets that I disliked worse than Funai, such as the later RCAs that were made in China. Two that come to mind are the M134C chassis and the ITC008 chassis. Very poor build quality, weird problems that were hard to diagnose, bad flyback transformers, and Bad jugs were common on these. They were so bad that I stopped taking them in for repair.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never liked the picture on the old Funai TVs, I always thought it looked washed out. The Orion made sets were much better quality, imo.

Those last RCA CRTs were the worst. I remember taking the back off one and the cabinet was so cheap I thought the entire thing was going to collapse. The cabinet reminded me of a milk jug.