Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The last "real" RCA chassis

I was trying to figure out what the last "real" RCA chassis was before the GE buyout in 1986.

As best I can tell, the CTC130, and maybe the CTC135/136 were the last from RCA, and then they were carried over into the GE-era and then the Thomson-era. Is my assumption correct?

I just picked up a 13" RCA knob-tuned XL100 from January 1987 and it uses the CTC135 chassis. The CTC135 was used in 13" sets and the CTC136 was used in 19"/20" sets. I believe the CTC135/136 was used in entry level sets until '92, when the infamous CTC175/76/77 chassis series was introduced.

The CTC130 seems to have been used in higher end 20" and 26" sets.

I remember the CTC140 that was used in higher end sets, but I don't think that one was introduced until after the GE buyout and then the CTC169 replaced the 140 and was offered for years, in both direct view and projection sets.

There was also the CTC145 (13") and CTC146 (19"/20") that was used in sets that were a step above models with the CTC135/36 chassis. The CTC145/46 used on-screen adjustments and a tuner that soldered directly to the PC board. I really wasn't a big fan of this chassis.

Then, there was the CTC149, 15x, and 16x that was used in various 19"-27" sets. The later 13" sets used the TX81 and TX82 chassis and I think those were made by somebody else for RCA. I did not like those TX sets and one thing I learned early on was the filter capacitor does not discharge when power is removed.

As far as CTC135/36 sets, those seem to have been fairly trouble-free. The main problems I remember them giving was the MTT module (only in models with electronic tuning). Those MTT modules always had bad solder connections and bad electrolytic capacitors. Often, lightning would damage the off/on transistor and the set would not turn off. The bad solder connections inside those modules would cause all sorts of symptoms, including the set turning on by itself at maximum volume and some would even blow the horizontal output transistor. Those modules were not cheap and if you couldn't repair it, then you'd probably lose a repair because most customers were not going to spend that kind of money on a 13" or 19" set. If it was a nicer looking console, they MIGHT go for the repair.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:01 AM
M is for Memory

I wonder what WA2ISE would have to say about this given he used to work at RCA "Smirnoff Labs" back in that era.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4