Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2021, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Color Console (1990)

Hello!

I've written about this TV long ago .... it is a Zenith Advanced System 3 27" solid state console, model SG5745H9. It uses a 9-959 main board, and a 9-754 Sweep board.

Both boards have been changed since new; I changed the last one because the sound stopped working and the IC was not available. Luckily I found a good board ... this was maybe 15+ years ago. Maybe 20.

It hasn't been used much over the past ten years, but we keep it around. When I moved it a few months ago, when I first plugged it in, it made some odd sound through the speakers, but settled down and worked fine. It's been working on the few times I've tried it (watching old TV shows). Tonight I turned it on and the video was off - a little wavy; when I turned it off, the sound stayed on and the picture went off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and then the amp came on with a hiss only, no picture. The power switch does nothing any more. The TV makes a click at times when plugging in from one of the relays, though I am not sure which (or if there is more than one ... I kind of remember it being related to a signal source selection)

I figure it's not really worth repairing in general, but am willing to try. Do you think it would be worth the time just changing all the capacitors on the sweep board (which I think is the board with the power supply) ... or is that just a colossal waste of time? OR is it perhaps actually worth taking it in to a good shop that still works on CRT sets (any good ones near Torrance, CA?)?

All thoughts are appreciated. It's one of those things I hate to throw away since it truly had a great picture ... even though I am sure it's not a desirable set from a collection standpoint.

Thanks,

Richard