Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjukebox160 View Post
Does it use RCA Cunningham Radiotrons in it.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice looking combo. Heavy as hell. I was a grunt once that had to help take these out of basements to haul off back to the shop. The first 2 photos I notice even the shag carpet matches probably the year this came out lol.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice looking. One would need a truck to take the money to purchase it and then use said truck to bring it home. One would also need to stop by the local high school and hire the football team to help move it!!!

But I would bet it looked super and sounded great.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 AM
Mark

I dream of having that model, great score man!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very nice. Looks like it's in great shape!
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2018, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

When these big heavy sets were new, didn't the dealer actually deliver them, and then perform the convergence and set-up?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototone View Post
When these big heavy sets were new, didn't the dealer actually deliver them, and then perform the convergence and set-up?
Yep, sure did. And I got a bad back to this day for it.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Yep, sure did. And I got a bad back to this day for it.

I remember taking one up the a third floor apartment and it took 4 guys because of the weight and size of these beasts.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back when sophisticated electronics was teamed with designer furniture. Unlike the stuff made today, plastic, MDF, etc. A real work of art, a classic!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Back when sophisticated electronics was teamed with designer furniture. Unlike the stuff made today, plastic, MDF, etc. A real work of art, a classic!
That's why those big entertainment center cabinets for flat screens became so popular; some folks, myself included, don't care for the generic design of today's flat screens. (I put mine on an old wood-look utility cart, with my DVD and VCR below it; looks a lot better, IMO, than just the TV sitting by itself on a table.) We may not be able to get new TVs in fine wood cabinets anymore, but I think the EC cabinets make up for that.

As for the quality of the electronics, well...that's another story. I've seen pictures of the innards of today's flat screens, and am amazed. There are usually no more than three PC boards plus the display panel inside most sets these days, so most of the little space in the cabinet is empty, not unlike the last Zenith color consoles of the late '90s and early 21st century. In those sets very nearly the entire TV, except the CRT, speaker and tuner, was on one small PC board. The rest of the cabinet was empty. I remember someone in this forum stating that some console TVs were very light; that person may well have been referring to these last-gasp Zenith consoles. I seriously doubt that the cabinets of those Zeniths were real wood, either; they were probably particle board covered in woodgrain vinyl, not unlike some antique radios which had cabinets covered in what was called "photo finish". Zenith radios were often housed in this type of cabinet, which surprised me since I always knew those early Zeniths, from the now-antique radios to their televisions up to about the '90s, were quality instruments; in those days, Zenith had a slogan, "The quality goes in before the name goes on". These days, since Zenith left Chicago for Korea, it's more like "The quality fell off the boat on the way to Korea." I sincerely believe that, considering the poor quality of today's "Zenith" branded flat-screen televisions made before the company went out of business for good. Good grief, those new sets didn't even deserve to have the Zenith name (or their trademark lightning bolt Z) shown below the display!

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Always thought Philco more so than Zenith did the 'photo finish' hoodwinkery on their radios.