Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I looked at mine and the edge trim appears black, although with a bright light on it, it actually is a VERY dark brown!
By the way, mine does have the top latch like yours. I had mine for 25 years and have left it 95% original. Amazingly it's only been on my repairman's bench once in that time, since it's full chassis resto, for just a slight "tune-up", and works very well!
PS - If you read this thread from ARF, you'll see people mention the "very dark brown" trim:
"....My speaker grill and mask are very dark brown. (RCA was into "Burnt Umber in these days.) The beveled borders around the cabinet are also this same dark color, maybe a ˝ a shade darker..."
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c.php?t=115077

Last edited by decojoe67; 03-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Yes, I looked at mine and the edge trim appears black, although with a bright light on it, it actually is a VERY dark brown!
By the way, mine does have the top latch like yours. I had mine for 25 years and have left it 95% original. Amazingly it's only been on my repairman's bench once in that time, since it's full chassis resto, for just a slight "tune-up", and works very well!
PS - If you read this thread from ARF, you'll see people mention the "very dark brown" trim:
"....My speaker grill and mask are very dark brown. (RCA was into "Burnt Umber in these days.) The beveled borders around the cabinet are also this same dark color, maybe a ˝ a shade darker..."
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c.php?t=115077
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll go with very dark brown on the grille, mask, hatch, and trim borders.
My set is definitely a mahogany finish.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Administrator

I just looked at mine, the top cover/mask and edge trim are the same dark brown color, I thought the edges were black also but they aren't.
They look opaque in low light but under bright light you can see the grain of the wood underneath.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I just looked at mine, the top cover/mask and edge trim are the same dark brown color, I thought the edges were black also but they aren't.
They look opaque in low light but under bright light you can see the grain of the wood underneath.
OK. What I use is Mohawk toners. These allow the grain to show after I use grain filler.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I needed a "Golden Throat" label and saw that Vintage Radio Labels carries these. Great! I ordered 1 in a gold border and dark brown.

I received it today. Not good. Here is a picture of the label that is advertised and the one I received. The one I received was paper and not foil. My bad for not asking ahead of time.

I've emailed him and we'll see what happens.

Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also discovered that the label supplied was of the wrong dimensions.

He is going to give me a full refund.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I use Boeshield on bare metal
Bob,

Please tell us more about Boeshield. I wasn't even aware of it until you mentioned it. Seems like a pretty interesting product.

Thanks,
-- Dave Sica
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Bob,

Please tell us more about Boeshield. I wasn't even aware of it until you mentioned it. Seems like a pretty interesting product.

Thanks,
-- Dave Sica
Here's a good product description: https://www.theruststore.com/Boeshie...erosol-P3.aspx
Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Crist, if it isn't a trade secret, could you give some info on the various materials you tried in making the labels? Where did you find them?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Crist, if it isn't a trade secret, could you give some info on the various materials you tried in making the labels? Where did you find them?
This what I ended up with.

Oracal 631 Light Grey #631-072

H&H Sign Supply Company

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productc...-538p44760.htm

I also tried Oracal 651 Light Grey and Silver Grey
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I didn't realize it was vinyl.
Looks good.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
I didn't realize it was vinyl.
Looks good.
Yes, sign vinyl.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update on my progress on the cabinet. Lots of pictures. Hold on tight.

After messing around with the dings and gouges on the sides, I decided that the only way I'd be happy is to apply new veneer. So I checked out eBay and found some real nice Ribbon Mahogany strips about 8 x 40. The grain very closely matched what I had and the "leafs" were about $8 each. I'll need 2. Here is a link of what I bought. BTW, very good service and he joined several other eBay purchases of veneer into 1 package and saved me a lot on shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390827726618...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I then trued up all the long edges because there will be 1 seam on the cabinet on each side.
I used the iron on method to attach the veneer. I used Elmers Carpenter Glue thinned about 10% by weight and rolled on the glues using a small roller. Here is a picture of the side of the cabinet with the glue rolled on as it dries.

Here is a picture of the veneer after the glue is rolled on. It curls up pretty good. Once the glue starts to dry, the veneer lays out flat again.

I applied 2 coats of glue to each side of the cabinet and to each piece of the veneer.

I then positioned the lower piece in place with the edge even along the bottom. And ironed it on using medium high heat and some brown craft paper in between the iron and the veneer. Then the second piece was ironed on with about 1/64 inch overlap at the seam. Once the second piece was good and "tacked" in place, I ran the iron over the seam and it laid down nicely. Not perfect but a little sanding would take care of it.

I then trimmed the veneer with my #11 hobby knife and then carefully sanded it down along the edges. I cut out the cooling slots on each side by piercing the outline from the inside with a "T" pin. I then connected the dots with my pencil. Then cutout along the pencil line with my hobby knife and then some rolled up sandpaper took care of the rounded ends.

Some final sanding and I'm done.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking great. Leave it to John Vassos to have made such a pleasing looking cabinet. He had a great eye for clean streamline design.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Laying veneer is a talent - great job!. Can't wait for more pictures.
Audiokarma