Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:10 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I think it should be able to be repaired using the Shango method.
Shango method... awaiting the results.

Used to get in PV-5000s and PV-6000s (portables) with cracked 3-layer boards a lot. Panny had placed a small rubber spacer between the board and the bottom cabinet panel. All it took was a bump while carrying it around to crack the board. Yes I repaired them, charged by the hour. Used the Ed method.

Have fun!

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santana - shangosm.jpg (44.5 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 06-18-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Shango method... awaiting the results.

Used to get in PV-5000s and PV-6000s (portables) with cracked 3-layer boards a lot. Panny had placed a small rubber spacer between the board and the bottom cabinet panel. All it took was a bump while carrying it around to crack the board. Yes I repaired them, charged by the hour. Used the Ed method.

Have fun!

-
I meant Shango066 on YouTube. 😜
Old 06-19-2022, 12:03 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
I meant Shango066 on YouTube. 😜
ah.. OK. I thought you were going to listen to Santana's "Shango" while you worked on it. That was one of several albums I used to listen to while at work.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
ah.. OK. I thought you were going to listen to Santana's "Shango" while you worked on it. That was one of several albums I used to listen to while at work.
That's OK, I just thought that when one mentioned Shango on here it was kind of understood that one was talking about Shango066 on YouTube.

I guess I shouldn't assume things like that on here. 😅
Old 06-30-2022, 03:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so I finally got the VCR Fixed!

But of course now it has a timing issue related to the mode switch I think, because when I put the tape in, it loads the tape in normally like it would if you tried to play a tape but then when you hit play the tape loads against the heads and attempts to play but then unloads the tape back into the tape housing, and if I try to hit rewind or fast forward the tape will rewind for about a second before stopping and then loading the tape against the heads like its going to try and play but then the VCR shuts down and when you try to power it on again it shuts back down again after a few seconds (and the tape is stuck in fully loaded/playback mode the entire time.)

Is there some sort of way to figure out which mode the mode switch is in in reference to the mechanism? Like is there some sort of specific marking that will tell you which position is which on the mode switch (ie stop, play, Rew, FF, Eject, Pause, etc.?)
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2022, 06:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's very rare for mode switch to jump time on its own.. Can you post a picture of the mode switch? I would suspect the switch could be dirty instead and may need to be cleaned. Usually to check its alignment, machine has to be put into sub-load if its the type I am thinking of. There's either a dot or a notch on it for indexing but again a picture is worth 1000 words.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djski View Post
It's very rare for mode switch to jump time on its own.. Can you post a picture of the mode switch? I would suspect the switch could be dirty instead and may need to be cleaned. Usually to check its alignment, machine has to be put into sub-load if its the type I am thinking of. There's either a dot or a notch on it for indexing but again a picture is worth 1000 words.
Well I did say (or I thought I did anyways) that I took the mode switch out of the VCR to check it out when I was trying to troubleshoot the VCR initially and when I did that I turned the switch back and forth to figure out if it was still rotating properly or not, and I forgot to put the switch back into its original keyed position.

I'll get a picture of the mechanism including the mode switch and post it and see what you think.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well I did say (or I thought I did anyways) that I took the mode switch out of the VCR to check it out when I was trying to troubleshoot the VCR initially and when I did that I turned the switch back and forth to figure out if it was still rotating properly or not, and I forgot to put the switch back into its original keyed position.

I'll get a picture of the mechanism including the mode switch and post it and see what you think.
Is the switch below or up top by the cassette tray?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djski View Post
Is the switch below or up top by the cassette tray?
It's below the cassette tray, it's a little round assembly that has some square shaped protrusions out the side that the retaining screws go through, the electrical connector goes through the top.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings everyone, a little update on this VCR, I was going through the Power Supply circuitry and I found several bad capacitors in the 5V and 12V rail of the power supply circuit and 3 of the capacitors (2 2200 µF 16V capacitors and a 330 µF 16V capacitor) are capacitors that I don't have the exact values in, I have 2200 µF and 330µF capacitors but they're 10V units rather than 16V units, if they are only a few microfarads low (within 10%) would it be ok to use them in the circuit?

I think otherwise this unit is fixed now.
Audiokarma
Old 08-22-2022, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so another update on this unit, this unit is giving me some more troubles, I had it working for a little bit but then for some reason now its not wanting to power up properly again.

This time the VCR when you power it on, it will go through the powerup self-test thing (but only partially) and the VCR will stay powered on for about 30 seconds and then it will shut itself off.

Now when I say it will go through the powerup self-test partially I mean that the video head doesn't spin up during the self-test process, it just does the spin-up of the take-up reel motor and thats it.

I've already recapped the control board for the VCR mechanism, and I'm not sure whatelse to do to get this VCR up and running properly.

I've read through the service data for this VCR and the troubleshooting portion doesn't give any lip-service to the specific issues I'm having with this VCR.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:19 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Can't help with your specific trouble list, but I see no one answered your question about capacitor voltage rating.

It is NOT OK to use a lower voltage rated capacitor as a replacement.
A higher rating is OK within reason, but it may be bigger and not fit anyway.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another update on this VCR, Its now having problems with the mode switch, and I can't seem to find the mode switch this VCR uses as a NOS part anywhere online (not ebay, or any Electronics Parts suppliers.)

I was wondering if there were any other models of Panasonic or Quasar VCRs from the early to mid 1980s that used the same type of mode switch as the PV-1730 did?
If so which models were they so I could possibly look out for those models as parts units on ebay or locally on facebook marketplace.

I think right now the mode switch is all that's wrong with the unit, because I was able to sucessfully repair the power supply issue mentioned previously (I found capacitors in my stash that were the correct voltage) and it started up and loaded and played and FF and Rew like it was supposed to for about a day but then after I had unplugged it to put it back together and put it away, I went to try it out the next day and then it started acting up again.
This time I think it was the mode switch because when I tried to clean the mode switch I think I might of damaged it and not realized it, and so it worked a little bit but then it failed for good.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Clean the mode switch. Look up Norcal715 and 12voltvids on YouTube. They show how to do it many times.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
Clean the mode switch. Look up Norcal715 and 12voltvids on YouTube. They show how to do it many times.
I did clean the mode switch already, and that's unfortunately how I broke the original mode switch...
Audiokarma