Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2024, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who was the market for the JVC CR-6x00U?

Someone's waving a CR-6300U at me for not too much money but I'm a little confused on who on earth JVC was selling this to.
I already own a Sony VO-2600 but that is clearly a studio machine since it's your standard functionality Umatic top-loader with record functionality and not a lot else. This JVC unit however has a UHF/VHF tuner and a clock, presumably for at least a single-event timed recording mode. Two things in a studio environment you would of never need.
In 1976 JVC had also just started marketing VHS the same year with the same features. (okay it has a digital clock rather than analog) The CR-6300 new seems to of been around $1900, while the HR-3300 VHS deck was supposedly around $1200 (I can't find a reliable source on the price). Was shipping a consumer-grade Umatic deck a stopgap for VHS or were they aiming at upper-class households and educational institutions such as schools where the content being recorded wasn't always going to be a composite camera feed?