Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:14 AM
M is for Memory

It could easily be caps causing that weird picture. My bugeye (slightly different model) had a really weird raster intermittently before recap and was fine after the recap.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-18-2021, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It could easily be caps causing that weird picture. My bugeye (slightly different model) had a really weird raster intermittently before recap and was fine after the recap.
Well that certainly seemed to be the case with my Meck TV, so hopefully that's the case with the Zenith Bugeye.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
So how does the UHF band work on these TVs? I'm asking because the one I'm getting covers both VHF and UHF.
Mine does not have UHF, and I've not run across one that has it so I don't know how they do that. Were I forced to offer a guess, my guess would be that the VHF tuner is motorized, and the UHF is tuned manually.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can program them to stop on U, and watch whatever the UHF tuner was set to. Nothing fancy.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Mine does not have UHF, and I've not run across one that has it so I don't know how they do that. Were I forced to offer a guess, my guess would be that the VHF tuner is motorized, and the UHF is tuned manually.
The UHF tuner is on the side of the set, to satisfy the intent of the FCC, to provide all channel reception. The older models had UHF strips.
I disabled the off function on the one button remote sets, as it's not really good for the set, the surge.
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2021, 01:58 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The UHF tuner is on the side of the set, to satisfy the intent of the FCC, to provide all channel reception. The older models had UHF strips.
I disabled the off function on the one button remote sets, as it's not really good for the set, the surge.
I've got a late 70s 19" ultrasonic Quasar that has an elegant solution to the surge issue. There's a delay relay (or circuit haven't opened it or looked at the sam's) on the power off position so that if you are just trying to work your way around it'll stay on, but if you linger on the OFF position long enough (2-5 sec IIRC) it'll power off.
EDIT I just found another cool feature in that set...If it can't detect sync pulses (station sign off, or VTR that isn't producing usable video) it'll power off in 10 seconds.

If I were worried about the surge I'd probably try to implement the quasar approach.

Last edited by Electronic M; 10-20-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I'll be hopefully picking up the TVs tomorrow. The guy that's selling the TVs actually seems legitimate because he wants to meet at the Polce Station which is someplace that I've heard suggested many times for meeting someone
at that you plan to buy something from when you are buying something locally from someone on sites like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I got the TVs! But boy are they heavy! Especially the 23" unit, which turns out is a Remote controlled unit, because it has a switch on the back to disable the remote control amplifier/pickup inside the unit.

One odd thing about both of these TVs is that they both used the safety Interlock plug which is intact on the back cover but it also had a short length of zipcord dangling out the bottom of both units with a short length of wire stripped back on both leads, what was the purpose of that? Some way of bypassing the Interlock plug for the serviceman?
Old 10-19-2021, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so a little update: I took the back off the Bugeye TV and it seems to be a high hours set, because it doesn't have any of the original Zenith Branded tubes left in it, and it seems that it also has the typical Zenith "Crumbling Yoke" issue, and the zipwire that was coming out the bottom of the TV is actually an external speaker connection that someone added later on so that they could hook the TV up to a HI-FI System.

As for the 23" Zenith, it seems to be a low hours set because all of the original Zenith Branded Tubes are still inside the set including the original picture tube, it too unfortunately is suffering from the "Crumbling Yoke" issue, but not as bad as the Bugeye TV was, this TV also had the same zipwire dangling from the bottom of the set, which was also an external speaker hookup, just like in the Bugeye, but they unplugged the speaker connection from the output transformer on this TV which I'm hoping didn't ruin the Output Transformer by not having a speaker load attached to it.

The cool thing is that they used a 6BQ5 output tube on this TV which means it was a pretty loud set.

It is not a Remote set like I thought it was, it was just capable of being one (the opening for the switch that was for disabling and enabling the remote chassis was blank, but had an area behind it in the cabinet where one could of installed a remote receiver if one chose to have it equipped with one, which is what the switch opening was for.)

It does have motorized tuning but it doesn't appear to have any way to activate it (no buttons to activate the motorized tuner), there is a manual tuning knob on the back of the set, but I'm not sure what that is for.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The manual knob on the back of the set is for use when the motorized tuning mechanism dies on you.
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 PM
<----Zenith C845

It seems very unusual to me that this TV does not have a button or a switch on the front panel to activate the power tuning. Most TVs with this feature will have either a button or a rocker bar which would activate the motor drive; the rocker bar would activate the motor for either channel up or channel down, while the button arrangement almost always operates the tuner only in one direction, usually clockwise. (Zenith's SC100 remote TVs have this one-way remote setup, with the added feature of automatic shutoff of the TV when the tuner reaches a certain user-selected channel; this feature had to be set up when the set was initially installed.)

If the tuner has been set to skip unused channels, stopping only on active channels in the user's area, it will stop on only those selected channels, skipping the others. For example, if your area has channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13, the tuner can be programmed to stop only on those channels, skipping past channels 3, 6, 10 and 12. If the tuner has not been set up this way, it will stop on every channel from 2 to 13, stopping and shutting the TV off when the tuner reaches the channel (if any) which has been set up to automatically shut off the set.

It would seem to me as well that the "UHF" position on the VHF tuner in Zenith TVs without the factory-installed UHF tuner could be programmed to shut off the set when the VHF tuner reached the UHF position; in fact, many VHF-only Zenith TVs (in areas with no local UHF TV stations, of course) were probably set up this way by default, especially sets made for use in hotels or motels.

This would not be practical, let alone usable, however, if the TV had a factory-installed UHF tuner, since every time the tuner reached the UHF position, the TV would immediately shut off. I would think, however, if a Zenith TV had the UHF tuner and was set by default to shut off when the VHF tuner stopped on the UHF position, this feature could be disabled so that the set would remain on when the tuner reached the latter position.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, so I figured out how the Motorized tuning works, there a pushbutton in the middle of the lower knob (below the Power/volume control knob) that when you push it, it activates the motorized tuning.

Unfortunately I'm not getting anything on the screen (no raster, or anything) which is weird because the vertical and horizontal oscillators are running, and I tested all of the tubes and they all tested like brand new yet, and the picture tube is glowing in the back, I wonder if its something to do with the setting of the ion trap? The reason why I'm suspecting the ion trap setting is because the deteriorated yoke seems to of affected the ion trap adjustment rings on the back of the picture tube. I'm definitely getting audio and IF noise.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
OK, so I figured out how the Motorized tuning works, there a pushbutton in the middle of the lower knob (below the Power/volume control knob) that when you push it, it activates the motorized tuning.

Unfortunately I'm not getting anything on the screen (no raster, or anything) which is weird because the vertical and horizontal oscillators are running, and I tested all of the tubes and they all tested like brand new yet, and the picture tube is glowing in the back, I wonder if its something to do with the setting of the ion trap? The reason why I'm suspecting the ion trap setting is because the deteriorated yoke seems to of affected the ion trap adjustment rings on the back of the picture tube. I'm definitely getting audio and IF noise.
If you're referring to the newer set, those rings on the back of the yoke cover, is the centering device. That CRT doesn't use an ion trap.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
If you're referring to the newer set, those rings on the back of the yoke cover, is the centering device. That CRT doesn't use an ion trap.
Yes, I'm referring to the newer Set. So the if what you said is true, then why would this TV be prodoucing no picture/raster even though all of the tubes test like brand new in the set?

Also I've been working on the Bugeye set and I think I've figured out why there was no horizontal or vertical deflection on it, its because the Damper tube, the Horizontal Output and Horizontal Oscillator/AFC tube, and the Vetical output/Oscillator tube and the Sync/AGC tubes were all shorted.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:33 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to the newer Set. So the if what you said is true, then why would this TV be prodoucing no picture/raster even though all of the tubes test like brand new in the set?
Got HV? Got correct CRT grid-cathode voltage? Are the fuses all good?

Tubes being good doesn't mean squat if there's significant issues in other components. And something tiny and easy to change can prevent raster from existing.

Audiokarma