Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Well, finally wrapping this thread up with a success! Here's the Admiral playing away in Nick's room, on a dolly to make it easier to wheel over towards the bed

The loss in vertical sweep was, of all things, an intermittent shorted connection from his recap job. Had to have my friend Ed sort it out because I couldn't find it!

For his first television restoration though? Not bad at all! Once that one crossed wire was sorted out, everything else Nick did was perfect

Last remaining job is to apply the new decals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5944.jpg (61.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks great, though I'd use a wider wheelbase dolly. Less tippy.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM
<----Zenith C845

Nice to see that TV making a picture, after all the work you and your son put into it. Those old Admirals, like 1950s-'70s Zeniths, deserve to be kept going if at all possible, since these sets represent a level of quality we just don't see in anything anymore. However, how are you getting a picture on that set? I don't see a converter or cable box anywhere, just a pair of rabbit ears on top of the cabinet. Unless the antenna is just for show and you are feeding the set with a VCR or DVD player, it would be impossible to get any kind of reception unless Buffalo still has one or two analog TV stations. Even Canada's television system has gone (mostly) all digital, so you would be hard-pressed to find any analog TV there either. The only other thing I can think of is you have your own in-house TV system, using agile modulators. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that you do have such a system.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-17-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Looks great, though I'd use a wider wheelbase dolly. Less tippy.
Good idea. I have another that I can use for this. Gonna go change it over right now

The only reason it's on this one is that's what we used to wheel it around in the basement on.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
The only other thing I can think of is you have your own in-house TV system, using agile modulators. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that you do have such a system.
Bingo!

I just set it to whatever I want to watch (or whatever he wants to watch), and tune the TVs in to channel 9. What's doubly nice about it is that I can transmit test patterns, crosshatch, indian head, etc....eliminating the need to hook up a TV analyst or dot bar generator. Just rabbit ears and dial it in!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Nice to see that TV making a picture, after all the work you and your son put into it. Those old Admirals, like 1950s-'70s Zeniths, deserve to be kept going if at all possible, since these sets represent a level of quality we just don't see in anything anymore.
For some reason I've been on a Zenith kick lately. Just scored this '55 model in front, with the front glass nearly opaque with soot. And note all of the other Zeniths in this shot. It sat in an attic for over 30 years. But I bet she'll work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5921.jpg (78.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

You son does quality work and he now owns a TV way cooler than anyone he knows. Have you picked out a radio for him to work on next? He can add a bluetooth receiver for twenty bucks. I'd suggest something like the Zenith 845, but I'm sure you can find something nice, maybe with an extension speaker for stereo.

Instead of using a dolly to move it around, though, why not mount wheels on the legs? You can buy small wheels with a mounting plate at any big box hardware store (or online) and it's only four small screw holes. Not like drilling a big hole in the leg for for a caster shank. I used a larger set of these wheels for my heavy oak work table (used to be a dining room table) and let me tell you, it moves around on carpet with ease and is only a few inches taller which isn't a problem.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I think the dolly's just for the moment. We still have to pull the set apart again to get the decals applied....