Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

How to fix playback issues with VCR that refuses to play EP tapes?

So now I have two JVC VHS VCRs, both have severe issues with playback on tapes that were recorded in EP format. Sound comes through clearly, but there is practically no picture, just a white flicker on a black screen. However, tapes recorded in SP playback perfectly.

I've manually cleaned the heads on both VCRs using a white piece of printer paper in the methods shown in a couple of different Youtube videos, basically manually moving the playback head and letting it lightly brush against the paper. Each time I cleaned them I got some black gunk off on the paper. For awhile the cleaning seemed to work but after 3 or 4 hours of playing EP tapes, the prior playback issue started again.

Is there another method of cleaning these heads or are the heads totally shot for EP playback? I assume at that point the only solution is head replacement but maybe I am wrong?
Old 03-14-2022, 03:37 AM
I love old stuff

But does the machines itself are having the E.P. mode?

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 03-14-2022 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

It is very strange that both machines are exhibiting the same problem and you temporarily fixed the problem after cleaning. I would clean the heads and lower drum with a lint free cloth such as a Tex Wipe and denatured alcohol. I then would use a wooden toothpick moistened with alcohol to clean the rabbit guide on the lower drum assy. I never cleaned heads with paper in 30 years of servicing these.

If the machines were meant to play EP recorded tapes, I would look at the RF envelope when you lose your video playback while playing back a known good EP recording. That will tell you if the problem is head, head amp or a head switching issue.

Last edited by djski; 03-14-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Can you tell us the model number of your JVC VCRs, and how old the tapes are? In my limited experience, it sounds like these tapes may be severely shedding oxide and are clogging up the heads as they play. Tapes stored in poor conditions such as high heat or humidity for long periods of time will do that.

After you cleaned the heads, did the picture improve at all? You seem to indicate it did when you say "the cleaning seemed to work but after 3-4 hours...". Also, when you cleaned the heads did you clean them until no more rubbish came off?
Old 03-14-2022, 02:57 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoman9 View Post
Can you tell us the model number of your JVC VCRs, and how old the tapes are? In my limited experience, it sounds like these tapes may be severely shedding oxide and are clogging up the heads as they play. Tapes stored in poor conditions such as high heat or humidity for long periods of time will do that.

After you cleaned the heads, did the picture improve at all? You seem to indicate it did when you say "the cleaning seemed to work but after 3-4 hours...". Also, when you cleaned the heads did you clean them until no more rubbish came off?
Yup. Sounds like the tape is shedding and clogging the heads. This is also common on certain tape formulations. I have boxes of Sony Beta tapes that were all stored together and work just fine - except for a certain series of HG tapes that almost immediately clog the heads.
Audiokarma