Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer pr 8210 laserdisc player

I have collected 2 of these babies over the past several years and both work and have the best picture I have ever seen from a laserdisc. I have compared the 8210's to several other players I have collected, including the late great CLD 99. The 8210's have a direct video output that is defined as being useful with a special monitor which has the appropriate input (not widely available at the time these players were introduced). From this video output into either of my Sony HDTV CRT monitors (Super fine pitch tube), quality is fantastic. This has renewed interest in my laserdisc collection. The CLD 99 is good but not as good as the old pioneers. I must qualify this by saying I don't have the original remote for the CLD 99, so I can't make the use of the special adjustment control which could move the 99 picture closer to the 8210. I have always loved laserdiscs because of the jackets and no menu's. I have collected about a dozen laserdisc players over the years because they were so cheap ($50 for my CLD 99, $50 for my favorite 3070 and about $20 for all of the others). I also have 3 laseractive players, one of which is in operation hooked into a JVC rgb monitor. I collected the 8210 orginally because they have computer connection to run the dragons lair laserdisc arcade game, but I have never been able to get the laserdisc program. I've had the 8210s for well over 10 years and since they still work, this attests to the quality that went into these early players.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome

Im more into CED myself (Videodisc) but that sounds good also.......
Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome.
I have a pretty extensive collection of laserdiscs and players myself but have never really sat down to compare the quality of any of the players. The format itself is composite so any internal upscaling or video format conversions on the players themselves are inferior compared to the digital comb filters of any modern display.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 AM
I love old stuff

I don't look on this subforum, but when I opened the main page the title got into my eyes. Having one PR-7820 is one thing, but having two, that's beyond amazing-superbe. And make them working is another wonerfoul thing, because as far as I heared the rubber gets old and needs replacment (otherwise, they don't have problems). I wish me one: Helium - Neon laser, built like an tank, early model, can be connected to a computer (the thing that I don't like: can have trouble playing C.L.V. discs becase of the way that plays discs), but getting one into Romania, that's another thing, since is so big (big as 2 modern players).
I never made comparance between my players.
Do you know the facebook page LaserDisc forever?

MIPS , you not only have one electromechanical cash register, you do have LaserDiscs too...

Here is an old video tutorial about the "Pioneer" PR-7820: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVMUfNdJmI
Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Could this thread be moved to the Recorded Video section?
Audiokarma