Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

SpearTone "Tandemonic Sound" record player

Here's a SpearTone "Tandemonic Sound" record player from 1959. When I first saw it, I figured it was a cheap stereo model with L and R volume controls. Actually, it's basically a one tube kiddie record player with the speakers wired in parallel and the mechanism is the cheapest one that Alliance made. The cartridge is a Ronette that was made in Holland and it still has some output; but, it's getting weak. Even after servicing the drive mechanism, I can detect some wow and flutter, especially on 33 and 45. Of course, it has the standard "high fidelity" badge plastered on the front and that looks like an afterthought. As you might expect, it's anything but hi-fi. It would sound better with a modern ceramic cartridge and the addition of a driver stage to the amp.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 PM
electronics packrat

I used to have one of these. About as cheap as they come, aren't they? I have a Columbia from the early 60's that's not too much better. I have a weakness for these portables though, and they seem to follow me home every time I find one.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

[tsQUOTE=truetone36;3164576]I used to have one of these. About as cheap as they come, aren't they? I have a Columbia from the early 60's that's not too much better. I have a weakness for these portables though, and they seem to follow me home every time I find one.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, the stereo models used two 60FX5's, one for each channel. Tube is similar to a 25EH5.
The Spear units seemed to be cheapest ones out there. Most I've seen, used the accoustic reproducer. The turn-table seems to be one from the accoustic jobs.