Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Bob I see the Capehart I sold you finally showed up .
Old 10-12-2015, 12:00 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Nice job Bob. That really allows the avid TV collector to free-up their display space. You're really closing-in on acquiring the best of the early post-war sets!
Thanks and that's just a portion. I have around 100 sets total now! Going to try selling off duplicates soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdude1 View Post
Hey Bob I see the Capehart I sold you finally showed up .
Yes indeed, so did the National TV-7M I expect the knob quest could take quite a while!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Looking For Time

Resurrecting an old thread... I am working on another room for TV display and I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has done what I'm thinking. I would like to build floating wall shelves for my tabletop TVs along a long wall. The shelves will have to be stupendously heavy duty, but I think I can figure something out. Putting the sets on floating shelves will allow me to stagger them. Right now they are just a horizontal line of televisions which isn't very visually interesting. Does anyone else have anything like this in their display space? The one photo that I LOVE! is the one below that some one posted on ARF. I want to create something similar

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 AM
M is for Memory

I've done shelves with 90 degree support brackets below before (not sure how the ones in the picture stay up without them ). I've got one in my A/V closet supporting MUCH more gear than I can lift at once. and I've got a test equipment shelf mounted to the wall over my work bench that gets a LOT of heavy stuff placed on it.

Back when I was into radios only I had some real nice looking brackets, and shelf wood ready for such a project, but never got to it...

Brackets or however they did it in that picture you will have three fundamental issues with putting TV on shelves like that: Finding shelf wood that deep/sturdy, the leverage factor of the depth adding extra strain to the hardware, and finding 90 degree brackets deep enough to do the job.

If I ever go with wall shelves it will only be for radios and my smaller(shalllow 50's-70's sets)/lighter TVs....As it stands the radios I'd put on the wall would free up a good floor standing shelf I could use for TVs.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

{Quote} I hate this "Lumix Digital Camera, there must be a way to get a decent picture out of it but it's beyond me.
My old Olympus was great but not supported in Win 7.[/QUOTE]

Eric H. Nice job of reorganizing your display. I would suggest that you use photo shop or other computer photo enhancement program to improve your photos. Also, try and not have those bright, distracting source lights that seem so prominent in all your photos. I just used my photo program that is built into my Mac to brighten up & sharpen your photos. IMO it does help a bit.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-12-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

I have several of these Ikea floating shelves I got at an estate sale. The instructions claim a pretty low weight capacity rating, I think around 20 pounds. I attached them to studs instead of using anchors, so maybe they can hold more that way. I think one has more than 20 pounds of Trimline phones on it.

You can buy brackets to make your own, these claim they can support 50 pounds, but with an 8" deep shelf, too shallow to support TVs.

http://www.rockler.com/blind-shelf-supports
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6551.jpg (41.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6555.jpg (42.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been rearranging stuff, trying to fit more sets in my back room. Right now I've got 23 TVs and 16 radios in here. The first 3 pics are what I have in the back room, the last pic is in the front room. (They're crappy cell phone pics because both my digital cameras seem to have broken)

Last edited by Adam; 11-24-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

This place I just moved to has a finished basement, and I moved most of my working sets down here. First 3 pics are the front wall from right to left. Next pic is the right wall. Then 2 parts of the back wall which are separated by the stairs.

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Nice! How many can you run at once without blowing a breaker?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:08 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This place I just moved to has a finished basement, and I moved most of my working sets down here. First 3 pics are the front wall from right to left. Next pic is the right wall. Then 2 parts of the back wall which are separated by the stairs.
Nice set up.

Is that an 8-track changer?

If you ever decide to sell that chrome Zenith table top I'd make you a generous offer on it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Nice! How many can you run at once without blowing a breaker?
Most of those Zeniths and similar monochrome sets Adam has draw 1.6 amps. Tube color is about 3.3, much less for the Chromacolor SS, heavy as they are.

The answer is a combination of those two. I think maybe 10 of those BW sets can run more than 3 hours (16 amps load) on a 20 amp or 7 sets if its a 15 amp breaker. Take away two BW, to add a color set.

I built a new room with six outlets around the perimeter, all on a 20 amp breaker with no other receptacles on that circuit, even lights. There will be 12 BW consoles and 5 color TV's. I probably will not have all of them fit to run at the same time and THAT is a retirement dream.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's an RCA 5 8-track changer. It actually worked when I got it, I've never even taken it apart to see what it looks like inside.

I'm not looking to sell that chrome Zenith. After I fix my 1970 Zenith color console with the hybrid chassis, I'll put that one in the living room and put my 1974 Avanti with flat chassis which is up there now in that empty space next to the chrome one down here.

I've had 15 of them on at once (but only for a few minutes, and that didn't include any of the tube color). But then, I don't know if all the outlets in this room are on the same circuit or not. And that 67 Zenith rectangular tube color console is the only one I have down here that I haven't gotten working yet.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I thought I had posted pictures, but apparently I hadn't. Anyways, here is my collection. As you can see, I collect more than just TV sets. Thankfully I have the room for everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (63.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Collection1.jpg (57.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Collection2.jpg (31.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
I thought I had posted pictures, but apparently I hadn't. Anyways, here is my collection. As you can see, I collect more than just TV sets. Thankfully I have the room for everything.
Thats pretty nifty. How deep is that upper shelf?
Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Here's a few pictures of one of my display rooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0018.JPG (90.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0019.JPG (88.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0021.JPG (74.2 KB, 47 views)
Audiokarma