Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA EDR-11 stereo scholastic classroom record player from '67

One of my collector friends found this oddball RCA classroom record player and sent it to me. It's a model EDR-11 stereo scholastic solid state model and it uses a manual turntable that's the basis for the automatic changers that are found in the consoles. It has two 6" oval speakers mounted in the front and jacks for external speakers.

When I got it, there was bad filter capacitor hum and I also replaced the 3 other electrolytic capacitors while I was in there. I also had to replace the motor grommets and two resistors that had drifted way up in value.

This unit uses a floating cartridge, just like in the consoles, and when I fixed the other problems, I found that the cartridge has a near-dead left channel. The RCA part number for the cartridge is 115303, if anyone has a goodo one.

As you can see, the record player came to me in it's original box and has the instruction book. I think this unit has been used; but, it's been well cared for.

I didn't know that RCA made a stereo classroom record player, until this one floated to the surface. I'm sure it was expensive, when compared to the usual Califone variety.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like their portable Hi-Fi's and stereo's of the day. I always thought it was neat, the way they snuck the PC board under the turntable.
I'm willing to bet, that you had to use their external speakers, because of the strange 39 ohm impedence.

A fellow collector mentioned that, if you ran the unit at higher volume, the turntable would slow down slightly because of the higher current drawn through the motor/transformer.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca made a lot of units with the amp powered by a winding on the motor, not too bad on a unit like this, but a really bad idea on consoles. The motor had to be spinning even when listening to the radio. Most junked a long time ago when the motor bearings failed...
Old 08-03-2015, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Rca made a lot of units with the amp powered by a winding on the motor, not too bad on a unit like this, but a really bad idea on consoles. The motor had to be spinning even when listening to the radio. Most junked a long time ago when the motor bearings failed...
I never realized that! Sounds like an engineering mess-up.