Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Roku - VCR - Digital Converter

So how do I hook all 3 of these to my old TV's. Right now I have my air antenna going thru my converter box, to my VCR, and on too the TV with a common splitter type to male cable connection on my tv's. I am not using any RCA wiring at this time. (red, white yellow wires)

I'd like to add my Roku into this mess, and yes, I do have a rca cable hookup on my roku. I do not have an RF modulator yet. Also, there are rca connections on my converter box and my vcr.

If it really helps to unhook my vcr that would be ok, but I'd rather have it. I'm aware of the blonder tongues and if I have to get one I will, but for now...

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

If I understand.Just hook the Roku RCA outputs in your VCR input and set the VCR buttons to line input plus select TV/VCR button to VCR and the Roku signal should go to the builtin RF converter to a desired Ch3 or4 to your TV sets probably with a RF switch for selecting back and forth from the Roku VCR and the Cable TV box. .. I done it with old video cameras and other video devices over the years.I have no idea if Roku has any copy guard protection in it to screw up the VCR circuitry like pre -recorded DVDs and VHS tape does. If the VCR is mono audio.Just hook up a Y adapter from Walmart or Rat Shack to mix the Roku stereo red and white jack/plug to the VCR mono input.

The BT modulator is the best way to go which I'll be getting into in some time.

My luck is finding a Roku with RCA outputs.All I see in the stores here is HIDef outputs.BTW Which model you have.

Last edited by centralradio; 03-30-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mine is an older Roku 2 XD model that I have hooked to a modern tv with hdmi. I didn't even know it had the rca hookups until yesterday when I ran across its box and the cable was inside. So I looked online and the old 2's work but the new model 2's do not work anymore but the new 1's are supposed too.

I'll play around this weekend with hookup but it does sound like the BT would be the way to go. My VCR is fairly old too and I doubt there are very many settings on it.

Thank you for your response.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ditto to centralradio's suggestion to use the line inputs on your VCR. I have a Roku also, and do it this way just fine (using the VCR as an RF modulator / source selector).

Another thought would be to buy a composite A/V switch with built-in RF modulator, if your VCR doesn't have source inputs.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the Rat Shack still carry the TV RF modulator? I do remember seeing one at Walmart.I dont recall if both have a an RF switch on them.

If you like building things like I do. The last resort is make one up taking a modulator out of a junked VCR by hooking a power supply and a RF switch on it and put it into a small box.The pinout should be easy to figure out which pin does what.You can eliminate the Stereo Y adapter by mounting the 2 RCA jacks on the box along with the comp video input jack..
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2016, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Ditto to centralradio's suggestion to use the line inputs on your VCR. I have a Roku also, and do it this way just fine (using the VCR as an RF modulator / source selector).

Another thought would be to buy a composite A/V switch with built-in RF modulator, if your VCR doesn't have source inputs.
Walmart has the comp video/audio source selector boxes there.I got 4 of them from there over the years.They have some that selects 3 devices and some that select 4 devices.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last night I tried hooking it to my vcr and I didnt have any luck. I tried it with things turned on and off. probably too many things hooked up and I did it wrong, or my VCR doesnt funtion that way. Damned technology, lol. I went and picked up a RF Modulator this morning and it works great thru that. Its a little more portable that way too as I have slip on coax cables. I think I'll put a Blonder Tounge on my shopping list in the future. A source selector is a great idea too, as I have one of them. Thanks again!