Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 AM
Convergence freak!

Retro gaming and CRT TVs becoming a thing

I know this is not widely discussed but. within the last couple years that retro gaming is making a comeback and people like millennials, and older gen x people are noticing the gadgets of yesteryear such as the CRT television. A lot of my friends and a lot of people around here are starting to look for CRT tvs If you play that vintage nintendo games on it like Duck Hunt, which of course will not workwith flatscreens. People want that interlaced look with their 240P video game consoles. Its just natural.

Everything from the Atari, to the game cube, xbox etc..

Anyone else notice this lately?

A quick craigslist search comes up with CRT television set are now being sold For a small premium where people were giving them away before..

Wonder where this is all going?

Even I prefer to play vintage video games on a CRT. High definition even know it has its glory looks like crap when it comes to 240 and 480p game consoles.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

This has definitely been a growing niche over the last few years. Sony PVMs especially, and consumer Trinitrons are the holy grail for these people but they buy other stuff as well. There's still plenty to be had for free or cheap but as the supply begins to dry up, prices will rise. Basic supply and demand. When you think about it, there aren't many living room CRT TVs left in service. Even people who were holding out up until the last few years have probably caved now that a new 32-inch flatscreen can be had for $99 all day. Decades from now, most surviving CRTs from c. 1985-2005 will probably be in the hands of retro gamers rather than TV collectors.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saw it starting int he late 2000's. You started seeing people demand to game on a CRT due to the enhanced RGB modes as opposed to composite, then there's the competitive arcade community who in my opinion were the first to start paying hundreds for commercial refurbished PVM's and later on as the remaining units began phaseout everyone started going for them but the pricepoint was already set in the high hundreds. Before that everyone was using the then still really common and cheap Commodore 1701/1702.
I still keep a hoard of typically generic or unimpressive CRT sets but not specifically for reselling. You see a small color set now, don't expect to see them in another decade. I say find a nook you can't easily access but kept dry and cram it as full as you can.

Last edited by MIPS; 09-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Procrastination Expert

A friend actually provides equipment for video game tournaments. His favorite sets are the Funai based sets from the late 90s / early 2000s. Reliable, good picture, and you can use the service menu to disable inputs or the tuner. Plus they're square shaped, and have handles.

IIRC he fits about 26 of them into his minivan.

-J
Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8
I know this is not widely discussed but. within the last couple years that retro gaming is making a comeback and people like millennials, and older gen x people are noticing the gadgets of yesteryear such as the CRT television. A lot of my friends and a lot of people around here are starting to look for CRT tvs If you play that vintage nintendo games on it like Duck Hunt, which of course will not workwith flatscreens. People want that interlaced look with their 240P video game consoles. Its just natural.

Everything from the Atari, to the game cube, xbox etc..

Anyone else notice this lately?
One of my friends grandchildren who is 17 now (He is my friend also I guess) keeps trying to tell me how good these newer games are and I should play them!!!!

Minecraft,fortnight,etc...... I DONT WANNA PLAY THAT TRASH!!!!!!!! -- To me they are crappy compared to GOOD games of the early 80s. He says "You should try it and see if you like it" I dont want to!!!!!!!!

I like games I consider to be good!! (Early 80s arcade,atari 2600,coleco,etc)
Audiokarma
Old 09-13-2019, 07:17 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
One of my friends grandchildren who is 17 now (He is my friend also I guess) keeps trying to tell me how good these newer games are and I should play them!!!!

Minecraft,fortnight,etc...... I DONT WANNA PLAY THAT TRASH!!!!!!!! -- To me they are crappy compared to GOOD games of the early 80s. He says "You should try it and see if you like it" I dont want to!!!!!!!!

I like games I consider to be good!! (Early 80s arcade,atari 2600,coleco,etc)
If you limit your self your world can only become smaller...

Try driving around in Grand theft auto for a while and you'll feel just as sucked in to the game as you would getting on a roll in a game of asteroids on an Atari 2600... this statement comes from experience playing both.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

MAYBE, just MAYBE, if 1 out of every 100 or so of these Millennial Nitwits who squall/screech "AWE-SUM !" every 3rd word like they all seem to HAVE to do, picks up an interest in old radios & TVs, it might just be worth it... I was a teen in the 70s, this current crop has to be the most about the most Dain Bramaged bunch I've seen.. They have no use for anything that ain't tied in some fashion or another to a video game, Kompooder or some other piece of useless fluff that NOBODY but them know how to work....IF they can be coaxed to operate at all anyhow. Guess I'm showin' my 62 years here, but I really didn't think the OTHER kids since I was a kid were this anywhere as FRUSTRATING,-and, ultimately, DISAPPOINTING- as this infuriating bunch is.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quite a good reply Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.........
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hehehehehe... Now, if I could just demonstrate/show off the Fine Art of Target shooting....... Start off easy & simple, just a bolt action/lever action .22LR a Browning Lever Action 22, simple scope, poke full of empty coke cans, a few fence posts, & they're all set. Guarantee I'd have 'em callin' their shots in no time.. Would HOPE I'd get a few Grrrls, too... Been MY experience, over 30 yrs of this, girls/ladies often have BETTER hand to eye coordination than boys/men, PROPORTIONALLY better upper body strength-that doesn't matter too much w/22s, tho-And Females DON'T have 50 centuries of Macho Bullshit eggin' them on. They also seem to "Take" to target shooting, once they try it a bit, quite readily. Once, a long time back my sister left me to the clutches of this 10, 12 yr old gal, who was one of those LOVELY kinda kids that you REALLY wanted to Pinch Her Head Off... I had no ideer wtf to do w/this Harpy-in-training, but I had a Chipmunk single shot bolt action .22, which was sized for a kid, a box or 2 of shells, requisite empty cans, & we set to. Kid started w/the whiny-ass voice, I kept pushing, she started plinkin' the cans off, her daddy & my sister came over, started praising Jackie, the kid,, we ALL ended up havin' a very nice afternoon. Too bad my sister & the kid's Dad had a big fallin' out-My sister is a full bore Horse Nut, trust me, They're WAY worse than any of us are, by at least a couple of "Forces of Magnitude" than we are about old radios 'n' TVs..
Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Crash Bandicoot on my KV27XBR with my 7-year-old. That's where it's at for me... 20+ years ago. Still have the set, the game, and the kid. All that's missing is time...
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Human beings are interesting to study. I saw vinyl come, then go, and is now making somewhat of a comeback. I see new 180 gram records for sale now in Target stores. I suspect film will at some point make a niche return too. I still play cassettes from time to time. You can still find blank ones. I love anything tactile. I want to get my fathers Sony Superscope TC 250 reel to reel restored and use that on the old tube stereo. I don't see reel to reel making a comeback, but it is interesting how millenials like something they think is new and groovy and us old farts that saw it around the first time around never thought it was a bad technology to begin with. There is nothin new under the sun as wise Soloman once told us thousands of years ago lol.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 09-14-2019, 11:09 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I say find a nook you can't easily access but kept dry and cram it as full as you can.
Hmm... giving me ideas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Minecraft,fortnight,etc......
Minecraft was fun before it was invaded by 12-year-olds. Fortnite was made for 12-year-olds...
Old 09-14-2019, 11:20 PM
M is for Memory

I heard that for the first time in my lifetime Vinyl is outselling CDs...Granted the looming death of physical-digital media is probably as much the cause as is the resurgence of vinyl.

New RTR music does have a niche audiophile market (tech moan on youtube discussed it)...It is expensive as hell so most folks that don't want to play tapes of old music and don't roll their own cigarettes out of $100 bills while driving a Ferrari avoid it. I have plenty of good RTR decks and good old tape of music I like that I got cheap so I'm not inclined to spend more than I probably paid for my whole RTR collection on one new tape.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What these Millennials will NEVER understand is ploppin' in front of yr mighty R-390A, SP-600, SX-28, whatever, AFTER its been on at least an hour, of course, & then trying to decipher some Deet-deet-dott-Deet from the 25 OTHER signals right there, the static crashes, all the other extraneous noise & BS, just to hear maybe some spy in Gawd-Knows-where-Istan trying to find out who & where he has to meet next. Or was it what clothes he has to pick up tomorrow ?!?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is apparently new open-reel audio tape being manufactured, and a new (somewhat high-end) machine rumored as well. I'm full up on each, so I haven't dug into either at this point.
Audiokarma