Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi HR-100

I have acquired a Hitachi HR-100 1" Type C luggable VTR.

No documentation, of course, and Google isn't very helpful -- but neither is Hitachi as they seem to have recycled the "HR-100" model name at least twice on other products.

In theory, this should be very similar in operation to the Sony BH-500 although I don't think it's a clone.

If anyone has documentation, I'd be interested, but in particular I'm looking to figure out the pinouts for the power and playback connections.

Obviously two of the four power pins are going to be +12V and Ground, are the other two pins used?

Here's a picture of the side panel from the auction listing:

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 AM
M is for Memory

I can't say for certain but it is very likely that there are 2 12v and 2 gnd pins on that plug. The motors in that need a lot of current and each pin can only source so much and retain industrial reliability. In addition to the Sony there is an RCA that is a rebadged Sony...I have that RCA...I need to get around to powering it up and making it work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have run a many hours of tape thru those units.

Though the deck itself is not a Sony clone, the 12V connector will be the same as Sony, and the connections are doubled like Tom said. If you discover your current requirements, I have a power supply for the Ampex/Nagra (very) portable 1" machine I could be convinced to part with...

Don't have any HR-100-specific documentation, but if you buy the companion HR-200 editing VTR I can set you up. Used to interface with about 8 of 'em from time to time.

The playback adaptor enables color playback, but it's not a TBC, so you'll still see some video nasties that a real TBC would take care of. Plus, no HST (head scan tracking) so no off-speed playback at all. (There's not even a function for it.)

The audio recording headroom on those is pretty low, too. Very delicate getting decent audio into and out of the deck.

Until you're confident of the tape handling in all modes, it would be best to 'shuttle' the tape manually, by using FF/RWD buttons to get tape speed down before pressing stop. In other words, don't just go from FF full speed to stop. Rather, push RWD for a second or two to slow things down, then hit stop about when the tape is ready to change directions. Tape spills with a spinning head can be messy, and slightly dangerous for the various heads in the drum.

Last edited by Chip Chester; 06-06-2019 at 09:28 AM.