Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei35guy View Post
Sorry, i got the impression that the electrolytics were original. My mistake. That eliminates a lot of issues right there.

Understand the financial responsibilities side. All too well. I was just curious as to what it looked like under there.

It's a puzzlement for sure that it worked for 30 minutes last night but today POW. If I think of anything I'll let you know. Like I said yesterday it sure would be nice to have some voltage readings at certain points.
I would love to have a "sam's" with voltages all over it!!.
I am still wondering about the cleaner I used. I won't be able to tell for sure unless I cut open a mica cap and see cleaner dripping out of it but I can't help but think since that is the last thing I did that was the cause.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure Sam's was around for 1941. In any event I have not been able to find one.

My thoughts are that since the radio failed the same way it did initially, the cleaner is less likely to be the culprit.

I found another link with 41-842 picture and schematic. No voltages but a parts list

http://www.geocities.com/jaschotter/philco41-843.html

(I'm uploading a bunch of files and it's going slow. So I'm trying to keep busy ;-))
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Born in the wrong decade

I keep walking away from this set and then going back just in case I will notice something or think of something I haven't. Why does only one tube (1ln5) have a Floating isolated socket and what could happen if its mounts were crap and it touched the tuning cap? Would this be some sort of short? Because this is how it was when I flipped it over to put it away for right now.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio nut View Post
Why does only one tube (1ln5) have a Floating isolated socket and what could happen if its mounts were crap and it touched the tuning cap? Would this be some sort of short?
Well look at the schematic. Both of the 1ln5s show a solid circle with a dashed circle inside. And one side of the filament is attached to the the case. I'm guessing these are metal tubes.

The socket is isolated for a reason. There are 2 - 1ln5s which one is isolated? That might be a clue.

On the schematic, is the 1ln5 between the IF transformers labeled 25 and 26 the one that is isolated? If that filament shorted it would directly affect the 1lb4 that is getting the high voltage on the filament.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Born in the wrong decade

It is the first IF amp, not the one you mentioned but I still will fix that. What is special about the diagram having the solid circle and then the dashes inside of that on the 1LN5 tubes?
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
It is the first IF amp, not the one you mentioned but I still will fix that.
Ok that was just a guess. And not a good one.

Quote:
What is special about the diagram having the solid circle and then the dashes inside of that on the 1LN5 tubes?
One side of the filament is connected to a shield (the inner dashed line on the schematic). Which I would guess is also attached to the metal band around the base and the pin?

Here is the tube data for that one:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/tubes/sy...949/1LN5_1.gif

Last edited by rollei35guy; 09-28-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Well, I checked with my ohmmeter and the floating socket will ground out the filament line if it touches anything.I will try to fix that and see what happens

I was able to find the 1LB4 tube I need so I will give it a shot as soon as I can.

I will be working overtime this week so I" may" not get back to this set until Friday night.

Cross your fingers!!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 AM

Fingers crossed. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Born in the wrong decade

Well,I found the time to rig the floating socket for now.

Now the tube heaters are not loading the circuit at all. they are not getting any juice.I will have to find the bad wire or open in the circuit and go from there.