Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I was in college in Beaumont, Texas, walking back to school from lunch at a hamburger joint with two friends. I noted the sky had some ominous dark clouds with the sunlight playing on them like the twilight of the gods, and my friend said the German term for it, Gotterdamerung, from Wagner. As we approached the first college building we saw a group gathered around a car: the guy in the car had his radio on and that's where we first heard the news. After that we walked over to the student union where crowds of students were watching it all unfold on TV. All over the country movie theatres shut down for some days and it was all very somber for some time.
I was born in 1966 so I was too young. My grandmother and her boarder friend were on vacation in California and she remembers the night before seeing something like a shooting star that resembled a dagger in the sky and had an ominous feeling, The next day, JFK was shot and killed. BTW, Beaumont, Texas? My aunt and uncle lived there at that time soon after moving up from Port Arthur. I was hoping to hear the story again from Mom where she was but my mother passed away last Monday (November 18th) from her cancer.

Well, her story was as follows:

She worked as a secretary in downtown Pittsburgh. She was on lunch and saw the coverage on TV sets at TV store. When she got back, she told everyone but they though she was pulling their legs. Well, someone produced a transistor radio and all were listen to the coverage after that and I think they all went home early.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Sorry to hear of yr loss. Lost my Mom back in Aug 208 from Emphysema/COPD. Was sort of glad when it happened, she suffered so. It "Gets" you when you reach to pick up the phone & give her a buzz...And then realize, no, you CAN'T do that anymore..