Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Emerson 920 FM Only

Usually at the beginning of the semester, my school's labs get rid of old equipment and supplies by piling them up in the hallways, where they sit for a while until somebody makes them disappear.
I saw this little Emerson sitting out there about a month ago with a paper on it that said "trash". I sure couldn't let it meet that fate.

It wasn't until I looked at it closer that is noticed it is an FM only radio. This is the first FM only tube radio I've owned. (I used to have this interesting little Sony transistor FM only radio, you pushed a button on top and it automatically tuned to the next station).

The cabinet is a little beat up, but eventually I'll try to clean it up and see how well it plays. It looks like the tuning knob is missing an insert.
The tuner has some sort of reduction system so the dial scale turns slower than the knob. I was surprised to see a steel chassis instead of a PC board.

-- Max
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side.jpg (83.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (92.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (69.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg name.jpg (55.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg top.jpg (70.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have two of these, in pink (yuck, pink makes an awful color for radios), and a 3rd in white. It should come to life after you replace the wax paper caps and the electrolytic filter cap. And replace the selenium rectifier (sub a 1N4007 and a 50 ohm 5 watt resistor in series).
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
VK Member

If you want to see more FM-only radios, this is the definitive site:

http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only.html

I have several of the radios in his list (and he has pictures of many of them), but her has the ultimate collection.

They are much easier to restore than AM-FM radios because you don't have to contend with a bandswitch. Sounds like you have a nice score.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Very "Mid-Fifties" looking...A little elbow grease expended on the cabinet oughta make a world of difference in appearence...
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

wa2ise,

Thanks for the diode info. Polarity is what direction?

I just got one in the same black and it is dead. Is this a series string set? I have not looked under it yet.

Found it at a local county fair exhibit. It won second prize. First prize was an AA5. I left a note on the entry tag and got it. A local kid going in to the Army and wanted some cash. I get a fun radio and a new PFC gets some extra cash while defending us. Good luck kid.