Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
When I replace parts in a set I remove the old part completely and install the new part through and then around the original mounting hole.
I fully agree with your practice of completely removing the old part and properly installing the new one. This is the best and most approved way.

However, in several instances I have had bad luck attempting this because the tube socket pin breaks off while removing the old part wires.

This leads to finding a replacement socket at a hamfest and replacing the bad one. What a $#$&%$&# PAIN!

If I suspect the set has lots of previous poor repair work, and the sockets look well worn, I clean and scrape the two existing part wires after clipping the part out and wrap the wires of the replacement part carefully around them and solder them really well. The cleaning and scraping is important for a proper connection. Then I reflow the solder on the pin as well.

I've never had a repair go 'bad' using this method and I've not broken any more socket pins either.

Remember, desperate people do desperate things!

Cliff