Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Atari 2600 Hooked Up to a Zenith 20X1C38

I have my parents old 2600 and I want to hook it up to the Zenith color console I just picked up but I have no idea how to do it.

I have a switch that was used on my parents old 80s Zenith console but there is nothing on the back to plug it into.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

You need to connect the output cable to the antenna input on the TV. The output cable should have an RCA phono-type plug, and you can use an adapter such as the Radio Shack #278-255 to convert to an "F" connector. Screw that adapter into the TV's antenna input (the VHF if it has bothy VHF and UHF) and set the TV to channel 2 or 3 (to match the switch on the Atari 2600). Turn off the game console to insert or remove a game cartridge, and you will need to have a cartridge in it to get a signal on the TV. Let us know if it works.

If the switch you have has an RCA jack, two screws, and a short piece of flat wire with two conductors about 3/8" apart (maybe with fork-shaped terminals on the two wire conductors), you can connect that to the VHF antenna screws on the TV if it has them. The Atari's cable would plug into the RCA jack on the switch, and you would slide its lever to the "Game" position. The first hookup method I described is better if you have a choice, though.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

It was a lot easier than I thought!

There are only two screws on the back of the TV for the antenna so I disconnected the plug on the game adapter and just screwed into the back of the TV, plugged the game into the adapter and now I'm playing Dig Dug on my 1968 Zenith Color Console! I've got to clean up the bedroom the TV is being stored in and then I will get some pics posted.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Very cool. That is hooked up exactly as I expected, in my second description.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, I figured out what you were saying after I looked at it for a bit. The flat wire that is connected to the screws on the back of the TV had a plug attached to the end of it. I realized I could disconnect that and then hook it up the way you described.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome>! I was given a 2600 once and i still got it in storage but it had no horiz sync at all, tried a 60s b/w set, a modern Sony trinitron, and a few 80s color SS sets..as well as a new adapter...never tried fixing it.

Have the same Archer switchbox (we probably all do, come to think of it)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
<----Zenith C845

JWHarris, I just read your posts and am glad you got your Atari game console working with your vintage Zenith TV. (In the '80s I had an Atari 400 computer I successfully used with a Zenith b&w 12" solid-state portable, and later with a 13" 1980s Zenith SS color portable.) However, I'm wondering. Didn't you say you were going to have to find another home for that set because you just don't have the room? You said in one of your earlier posts that the TV was in a spare bedroom in your house, but it was in such a position that it was blocking the door. Did you move the set into another room, or is it still where it was? Just curious.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the last picture, the TV is sitting where it is right now. It is in front of the nightstand with the bed to the right of it and the door to the left. I was able to move it up against the bed more so the door opens and closes but that is literally the only place in our whole apartment where it will fit right now. I have a large floor model radio, a drafting table and a computer desk on the other side of the room as well as boxes stacked in every open space. I would love to keep it and play atari on it everyday but it is really too big so I am going to find a smaller tv to put in my bedroom on top of the dresser so I can play it in there. Sadly, the console has to go.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
M is for Memory

Have you considered stacking something (the radio maybe) on the Zenith. Between being forced to move in to smaller digs, and my collection continuing to grow I'm comeing up with new ways to fit the proverbial 6lbs into a 5lb bag. If one is REALLY determined to make something fit it has a way of happening IMHO.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello JW,

That'a an OLD zenith!!

early 1970's to late 1960's anyone here can give this guy an exact year??, keep it's since your parents too.

Those have legendary chromacolor tubes and are among the best from zenith's own rauland CRT Plant, During zenith's "golden age", catching most of the market share. If you ever have the time or money, a good tech to knowhow to align and tweak set would be best. Amazing pictures these sets make. I have a 1977 zenith CCII, my younger boy simply commented on excellent picture quality. CRT may be tired, BUT a bad cap somewhere also makes a dimmer picture. If brightness is good as seems, disregard as not needed.

Only getting TV serviced you will find out. Willl increase reliablity insted of waiting for 30 to 40 y/o parts to die.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator

That very set is now in my living room, awaiting a few parts to make her picture perfect

Incidentally, though, it did occur to me that the picture could be brighter......
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwharris
It was a lot easier than I thought!
We had one of those white switcher things in the 80s!

Im glad ya got it figured out!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Now that Kamakiri owns this TV, I have my Atari hooked up to a 13" Admiral color portable and it is awesome! It doesn't take up any room sitting on the nightstand in the spare bedroom and the picture is amazing.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 AM
complete novice

Truly a thing of beauty. This summer i hooked up my old atari 7800 up to my 21" bpc color tv and still had tons of fun with it. Oddly my nephews hate them. but LOVE the classic nintendo ive hooked up as well.

Last edited by jbivy; 01-16-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Audiokarma