Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

More Radio Shack stores to close

More bad news at the Shack:

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/ban...y-announcement

Perhaps we will see some sales?

jr
Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Company is closing approximately 200 stores and evaluating options on the remaining 1,300
1300+200=1500
How on earth are there 1,500 RadioShack stores still open? I know of TWO that remain in my major metropolitan area.

Last edited by SpaceAge; 03-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 AM
Peanut Head

They just need to give it up. They ceased being a source to go to for quality parts and hi-fi decades ago.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 AM
M is for Memory

I hope the last one I know of in driving distance stays open...The other one that I went to more often closed a month or two ago....Spent like $170 on their closing sale and had a receipt about as tall as I am ....I did not know Radio Shack had jumbo sized bags till that day.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
They just need to give it up. They ceased being a source to go to for quality parts and hi-fi decades ago.
No kidding. I recall getting stuff there in the early 90s that was quite junky. They had grab-bag deals on random parts. Now it's probably cheaper to order straight from China.

Up here Radio Shack was re-branded "The Source by Circuit City" a few years ago, then just "The Source" not that long after. Exactly the same junk, just a different store name. Who knows how long they have left.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Despite the fact that many of their things aren't high-quality, it's still nice to have an actual store to go to for electronic components & parts when you need something quickly.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think there are about 6 stores that I can think of in my area; I rode by one today and they had a "going out of business-this store only" banner. I was tempted to stop him but figured I'd give it a while for the prices to really go down. I have noticed on recent visits that they had some interesting things in the clearance aisle. My guess is the bargains might be more along the lines of our stuff than toys & stuff.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:17 PM
David Thomas

The one in my end of town closed up last week. They had a "going out of business" sale that started out at 30-40% off and ended up at 70-80% off. This particular store had just moved across the street and built a new stand-alone store a year or so ago. I figured with that kind of investment they'd stick around...

Like somebody else mentioned, Radio Shack ceased to be a real parts source several years ago. That being said, it was nice to have somewhere you could buy a resistor or a roll of solder 7 days a week without ordering online and waiting for it.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Followin' the Rules...

1500 Stores? We have 4 in the area, and probably 10 more in a 30 mile radius. They have more franchise stores too - in many small towns, the Radio Shack is a franchise, not company owned. I know of two (in WV) that pay the franchise fee and get the discounted prices on parts and accessories - they couldn't give a dang about selling any other RS products - and Radio Shack has no real stake in their operation, provided they fork over the franchise fee and "the little off the top" each month. This in exchange for being the only place in town selling HDMI cables, Coax and coax connectors, and the obligatory antennas and remotes. Cell phones? Nah, they wouldn't want to take that on.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

When they went through the last big round of cuts I had a store manager tell me that they weren't basing the decision on store sales but on the cost of rent. Thus, they closed the busiest location (in the mall) & I think they had one in one of the better shopping centers. The store they kept? It's in a shopping center that's mostly vacant, hidden on a side street.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Will fix about Anything

This is what happens when the bean counters take over.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

With poor upper management .Radio Shack started to go down the toilet in the 1990's early 2000s when they dumped their own house brand stuff like Realistic and concentrate to be a phone store and carry name brand equipment like Sony and other top brands which was cheaper to buy at Kmart,Walmart and Circuit City at the time. Also lost of their catalog did not help them and as time goes by the kids had other interests then kit building.

Maybe the same when Lafayette dumped their own house brand and have Sony and other top brands in the stores.More likely RS killed them.

Now look what happen.The cellphone"Smartphone" shopping and Amazon killed off Radio Shack.As they were thriving selling cell phones in the 1990's and early 2000's .Now it bite them in the a$$. They missed the Amazon bus and should jump on and team up back then with them.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

They need to sell antique tvs and radios
Old 03-16-2017, 06:23 PM
The Resident Brony

Nothing of value will be lost.

I couldn't even tell you where the closest Shack is. I used to be able to walk around the corner from my work and pick up soldering iron tips, and the odd component part for car stuff.

But rip, now I have to buy that crap on ebay, getting the same quality garbage, without paying sales tax, and without having to get off my ass and go to a store... oh wait... this sounds better!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Radio Shack in town now is close for good as I went down there today on St Patty's day and found out with a note in on the window dated 03/13/2017.
Audiokarma