Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
AK Member

Heathkits

Hi gus,I heard Art Bell talk about making radios and audio equipment utilizing these kits and have a few questions:!.When were these kits produced and how many different kits were offered.2.How difficult were these kits to make.and3.Where would I go to find one of these kits(E-Bay I suppose).Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Heathkit was in business for many years, probably from the '40's thru the early '80's. The company, or at least its current survivor, is still in business making electronic training materials for classrooms. They haven't done kits in decades. Look here:
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/history.shtml

They made just about everything, from test equipment, hi-fi gear, shortwave and ham radio transmitters and receivers, to kid's stuff like science fair kits, etc.

Difficulty level ranged from very simple to kits that were clearly intended for very experienced electronics builders.

eBay has thousands of pieces of Heath equipment. However, it's all built! If you're looking for an unbuilt kit, they do pop up from time to time, but they will be very expensive.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Peanut Head

Other kit manufacturers included Dynaco (Dynakit), McIntosh, Eico, Allied Radio (Knight Kit), Lafayette (Laff At It) and a few others that I can't seem to recall at the moment. Allied and Heath had some of the best assembly manuals IMO.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:11 PM
On the Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426
Hi gus,I heard Art Bell talk about making radios and audio equipment utilizing these kits and have a few questions:!.When were these kits produced and how many different kits were offered.2.How difficult were these kits to make.and3.Where would I go to find one of these kits(E-Bay I suppose).Any help would be appreciated.
Bottlehead is making kits for some tube gear. look at the most recent raffle.

Main: 9090DB, Snell Type EIII's, Marantz 6100, TEAC PD-D2500

LR: Motorola tubes, EL84 outputs, , Dual 1019 TT, Sony CDP-CE105, Wharfedale Sapphire SP-89's and a 15" GV center in an infinite baffle

Home Office: Sansui 6060, Sony CDP-C305, Original Advents
Old 04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
AK Member

Response to heathkit inquiry

Thanks guys for the info.I was pretty sure that the kits may-be somewhat hard to find.I just thought it would be cool to build my own audio equipment.
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Other options include Welborne Labs (very nice but a little pricey), S-5 Electronics (a cheap, easy to build tube stereo amp), Consonance (appear to be quite nice kits from Hong Kong), Trancendent Sound (OTL amplifiers), Velleman (all kinds of things). There are also 'semi-kits' (typically a PC board plus parts list) of various sorts from Pass Labs (Nelson Pass), AKSA (solid state power amps of some repute), and Hagerman (well respected phono preamps -- tube and solid state).

BTW, Lots of kit gear at my house: Bottlehead (built by me and/or my kids), EICO and Heathkit (the current ones not built by me but still cool stuff), and some semi-kit diy (including speakers).

You should be able to find websites and/or distributors for all of the above on Google without much trouble!