Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Are you SURE you got the tubes back in the right sockets?...It's happened to me-I'm not too proud to admit it, either.-Sandy G.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Lets be bad guys.

I put them in right I'm lucky the numbers are stamped into the chassis. Everything looks right,good solder joints and I cleaned it well maybe I have a bad tube? I don't have a tester are they exspensive? Well I think this one will be a good clock atleast.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Good tube testers are expensive. What you *really* want if you are going to spend any money on a tube tester is "mutual conductance". Also look at the tube sockets, older machines can't test newer tubes. Watch fleabay, eventually bargains come along.

Having said that, *any* tube tester will do what you need here. Heck, you dont even need a tube tester. You can just check the filaments for continuity with your DVM. An RCA tube manual will tell you which pins are the filament. If you don't have one yet, post which tube numbers you have, and I'll post which pins are the filaments.

Good luck.

jc
Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Lets be bad guys.

35W4 50C5 12AV6 12BA6 12BE6 I have some other project radios and I think I have most if not all the tubes that the admiral uses so I'll change them out 1by1 till something happens. But learning to check tubes with a multimeter would be great!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

All those tubes have the heater on pins 3 and 4. The 35W4 also has a tap on its heater on pin 6. Expect to see resistances of a few tens of ohms. Tube pins are numbered such that, when holding the tube with the pin end facing you, starting from the gap clockwise the numbers increase, starting at 1.
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Lets be bad guys.

I just did some tube swapping eh no luck Maybe something got "impact" damage from shipping. For now I am just going to move on to another project. Thanks for the info.