Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Lets be bad guys.

Angry My clock radio commited suicide

I thought I had tracked down my problem...I found a wire with no continuity so I replaced the wire,making sure to put in it the right place. Put it back together,plugged it in and flash of electricity (pretty blue)instant lights out! It threw a 20amp breaker before the plug was even completly in.I pulled the radio back apart to find a blown tube (broken glass). I surpose it was it's "time" so I gutted it caps and cord (I needed a few of the caps anyway) It's now a useless do dad on a self.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

The short checker series lamp trick would have been good here...it may be a good idea to use this and maybe also use a 3 amp or so fuse in series with an extension cord when testing a newly repaired item.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Don't get discouraged if you can fix something right away. Let it rest on the shelf for a few years and if you keep building your skills, the original problem will be obvious to you. It happened to me with a 1950s RCA portable TV that had a bad picture I couldn't fix. I almost sold it, but decided to let it rest for a while. Then form reading these forums, I learned how to fix it, and it is now one of my favorite sets, and I can always feel proud that I learned how to fix it.

Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Lets be bad guys.

Yeah your right I should have just set it to the side a bought some caps instead of raiding it for parts.And Chad I think now I will add a fuse to my future radios!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes adding fuse is always a good idea, 1 amp or maybe even a half amp will work on a a table radio...also the 35W4 tube I believe has a fusible cathode link inside the tube that will blow out if there is a short on the B+...there was likely a problem in the 110 volt AC section of your radio if it blew the house circuit breaker.

Don't give up on a repair if the first attempt does not work...something will always come to you later either through research or other experience. Looking back on something that looked impossible, say, 15 years ago for me, now through more experience I can go right to the problem.
Audiokarma