Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help with tube collection

So I have this collection from a few years back, never really seem to find what I need.

Is there any tube that is unusual or worth keeping for a special radio/tv?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221101_183318.jpg (94.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20221101_183310.jpg (95.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20221101_183305.jpg (99.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-02-2022, 12:21 AM
M is for Memory

They all seem to be TV tubes. The 6V tubes look to be 50s era stuff the other tubes are for series string sets of the 60s and 70s.

None are bad to have in stock per-say. But "special set" is really vague. You might consider a late 60s Japanese color set special and that 29V H output in your stock is the only one you can find for it on all the internet. Or you might only collect RCA color consoles and only want 60s 6V tubes.

I collect a little bit of everything and have learned not to let any tube go unless I have 30 of them...(6AQ5s, 6AL5, 6CB6s and a handful of others I definitely have more than I'll ever use no matter how many sets in my collection use those).
That 6BV8 I thought nothing ever used turned out to be a rare tube used by an early Motorola color set I eventually bought and NOTHING else...Some of those oddball compactions I figured I'd never use back when I only collected radios have become mighty useful on some TVs I now own.

If you are only going to own less than 10 tube devices just buying a couple of sets of spares for each tube they use is easier than a random collection, but if you have no semblance of self control in purchasing like me, then you'll need the weird stuff eventually...I've probably got over 8 caddy's worth, and it all is valuable to me (granted organization would help it be more valuable).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-02-2022, 09:14 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

If you're working with vintage electronics you'll never have enough tubes. As Electronic M pointed out there's always going to be some oddball set that needs an equally odd tube. Working with RCA sets almost mandates a good stock of 2CW4 and 6CW4 nuvisters and 6GH8A triode/pentodes, GE PortaColor and Zenith Chromacolor means Compactrons. As it stands now I have roughly 150 lbs of mixed tubes divided between large totes and organized boxes ranging from 0Z4G to 8072 lighthouse tetrodes for GE MASTR Pro stations. Don't skimp or cherrypick, they make good trading stock with others. A good tube tester is a wise investment when dealing with a substantial collection and carpeted floor can save your sanity when gravity takes over.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

You don't need em till you need em. I hang on to all of them.