Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder what issue thats out of. I have most of those magazines and that would be a good one to scan and post for long term. looks like nov 1965. Ill see if i have the 5b in a bit
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM
"Book em Dano!"

yes, it's Nov '65
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
yes, it's Nov '65
I have the ctc5b sams. It has a page with wiring changes. Email me what you need out of this and ill scan it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I have a picture now with color. No sound. Just the buzz. Checked all resistors, replaced suspect ones. The vertical is stretched out too far. I replaced just about all the parts in that circuit but cant get it to shrink down. vert linearity works fine. I did the contrast mod, wow what a difference that made! No more blooming and HV loss. if anyone has any ideas on any of these issues, feel free to chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03666.JPG (115.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03667.JPG (111.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check the pots in the vert circuit, a bad spot in one can do things like that. Double check your work, easy to do something like replacing a .001 cap with a .0001 or some such, I've sure done it enough. A little (but big) mistake I made when I recapped my CTC-5 was to put one end of a new cap into the wrong hole on the board. Took me years, really, to figure it out. For the sound, have you cleaned the tuner?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I was wondering about the caps. Can easily be put into the wrong hole. I will double check. I do not go by what the sams says, I check the value of the actual part before replacement but maybe I grabbed from the wrong bin. I got sound for a short time adjusting the horz coil but never again. The tuner should be cleaned but the picture is decent.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I mention the tuner because my CTC-11 has a problem with intermittent sound coming from the tuner. The picture will be fine but you keep having to get up and jiggle the knob to hold audio. It hasn't quite bothered me enough to pull the set out and fix it.
I'd do a lot of prodding on the audio board, jiggling tubes, pushing down on the board itself with a screwdriver or something to see if a small amount of flex will do anything. I think it must be ahead of the audio section, though, in the front end. Look at the schematic and see if there are any common points between the horiz and the IF/audio that could cause trouble. It's been a few years since I've been that deep into mine. Have you played with the AGC a lot on this? Not the one on the back, but the one inside the contrast shaft on the front (if I remember right). Mine has always been finicky with contrast/AGC/brighteness/horiz hold, usually requiring a lot of tweaking as the set warms up. I did the contrast mod as well and it really does help.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Sounds like the alignment needs to be checked, does yours have a sound rej pot on it?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Yes. I have not yet tried that. I will give it a shot tonight
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

check R145 a 2.7 meg resistor from the center tap of the height control to ground.
Audiokarma
Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 AM
"Book em Dano!"

r145 checks good. Sound rej pot does nothing but make static(dirty) The issue with the vertical was that I installed 2 caps of the wrong value. .003 and .0056 instead of .033 and .056. That's what happens when you work on something till the wee hours. I found 2 bad chokes in the IF section. Going to have to find the right values and maybe it will work.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Finally got the convergence pretty good. What a pain in the ass! The newer sets are MUCH easier. All I can say is that I wish it was a deluxe model. I think this is about as good as it gets. Color is decent but could be better. You can focus this set all day but the picture will never be as sharp as a 16 or any newer set. I think the CYP is not as good a match for the set as the AXP but I dont know for sure. Would be nice to make the picture a little brighter but that would be too much work. BTW, the sound issue was mostly the tuner, Thanks Bagadow for the suggestion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03668.JPG (105.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03669.JPG (109.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03670.JPG (109.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

CYP's have a very good gamut as far as I'm concerned, next best thing to an AXP if you don't have one. It could be worse, you could have a yellow green/orange red FJP in there or something....
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 AM
"Book em Dano!"

No AXP. This has been converted long ago. I think the picture could be sharper. My focus pot is all the way to one side. probably bad resistors or something simple. I'll address that later. i'm having a AGC problem now it used to work fine but now the control has little to no effect on the picture/contrast. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I'm done with it for the night.