Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fixing sound on a 1978 RCA B&W set

Recently picked up this small B&W RCA at an estate sale too add to the collection. It's in nice shape and has a really great picture, super bright. But the sound is completely dead. No sound at all, not even from channel fuzz. I looked inside and there is nothing blatant wrong, no obviously blown caps, and the wiring to the speaker all looks intact and ok. I'm not at all familiar with TV's of this age though. Is this something that can be fixed? Where would I start looking? Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3442 Medium.jpeg (71.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3443 Medium.jpeg (80.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg Moment-App-20230517001702891 Medium.jpeg (59.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-26-2023, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM86 View Post
Recently picked up this small B&W RCA at an estate sale too add to the collection. It's in nice shape and has a really great picture, super bright. But the sound is completely dead. No sound at all, not even from channel fuzz. I looked inside and there is nothing blatant wrong, no obviously blown caps, and the wiring to the speaker all looks intact and ok. I'm not at all familiar with TV's of this age though. Is this something that can be fixed? Where would I start looking? Thanks!!
I've had similar issues with a similar TV (mine wasn't RCA though it was a Monkey Wards from the early 1980s) and I think what the deal is on these is that the sound is controlled by an IC Chip inside the TV and sound IC Chip can sometimes short out due to bad capacitors or resistors in the vicinity of the audio IC Chip, and sometimes an electrolytic capacitor can look "ok" and be electrically leaky (or have high ESR Readings in other words.)

I really don't know what your TV's situation would be without being able to see what it looks like in person.

Also another thing that could be wrong is if it has an earphone jack the earphone jack might be stuck in the open position (acting as if there's an earphone plugged into the jack, when there isn't.)
Old 07-27-2023, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good call on ear jack.

After that get the manual using the chassis # (KCS ### ) & measure
the voltages in the audio. Its just an FM radio so like fixing a radio.
Good little sets & not rocket science.

73 Zeno
LFOD !