Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Avionics Technician

Need course in Video Editing and Time Code 101

Hi Guys,

I've been spending the last year building a state-of-the-art (as of about 25 years ago) video production studio. I have several of JVC's best professional VHS duplicators (BR-S822U), their RM-G860U Editing Controller, and 4 Time Code Generator/Readers in addition to the TC options on 2 of the VCR's. I also have 2 Alesis ADAT machines to synchronize the VCR's to 16 track digital audio, and may get one more to expand to 24 tracks if the need should arise.

Now that I finally have all this stuff working like new (many, many hours of work), I'm ready to do some serious A/V recording of local bands. My problem is lack of BASIC knowledge of professional video editing; the manuals for all my gear already assume a strong basic foundation in video editing, and merely describe the steps to perform swap editing, for instance.

If there are any former video editors out there, I sure could use a book that covers the basics in this area, or at least a fairly detailed description of terms such as "assemble editing", "swap editing", "insert editing", etc. I think I can muddle through the Time Code stuff on my own, and I know I also need to play with the gear and become more familiar with its advanced features.

I love to sit on the couch and read while the wife watches her favorite movies, so a few technical books on the subject would be my ideal scenario - but I'll take any help I can get. I've searched for books, but can't seem to find anything written specifically for the video editor from a technical standpoint.

Thanks in advance!